Chapter 21: It's time

"Fuck me that hurts" Uraraka mumbled under her breath as she experienced some pretty painful cramps. She hunched over the kitchen sink that she'd been washing the dishes in. Trying to hide from Eri how much pain she was in.

"Mommy can we watch a movie?" Eri asked. She was oblivious to Uraraka's struggles and was happily watching TV. Uraraka started taking some deep breaths like she'd been taught to do which helped her with the pain.

"Of course we can. Deku should be home soon so why don't you pick something?" Uraraka suggested as she continued to breathe to help with her cramps. However it suddenly started hurting even more causing her to gasp in pain. Eri didn't notice but Satoshi approached her and gently pawed at her letting out an ever so slight whine. Uraraka slumped onto the floor and put her head back against the cabinet.

"It's ok boy. I'm ok" she reassured the kanine. However he assumed the position and rested his head in her lap and lay down next to her. Uraraka took the hint and started petting him. Satoshi didn't move. He simply lay there and let her pet him to take her mind off the pain. It was working too. The therapeutic feeling of petting her dog was completely distracting her from pregnancy pains.

"Hm. Good boy" she said as she realised what he'd done for her. Satoshi responded by sitting up and giving her a gentle kiss on the nose which tickled ever so slightly.

"Ok ok I love you too" she said as she kissed him back on his snout which got his tail wagging. She sat there on the floor for a little while longer though. Thinking about her pregnancy. Her bump had grown a lot bigger. The pains were becoming more consistent and intense. She'd already withdrawn from field duty.

"What do you think boy? You think it's time?" she asked. Satoshi simply tilted his head and perked his ears up in response.

"Yeah. Me too buddy. Me too" Uraraka sighed. Although she felt assured in her decision and knew this was the right thing to do it still felt disappointing.

"I'm home" Deku called out as he entered the door. Eri immediately ran up to him and embraced him.

"Mommy said we can watch a movie" Eri informed him with excitement.

"Oh that should be fun. Where is she?" Deku asked since he couldn't see her. Uraraka didn't move. She was still in some discomfort however she signalled to Satoshi that he could go and greet Deku. He wasted no time in doing so and bounded over to the young hero.

"Hey buddy. Where's Ochako?" Deku asked as he gave Satoshi some belly rubs that he had politely asked for by laying on his back and exposing his belly. As soon as Deku stopped though he bonded back over to the kitchen and waited for Deku. Looking back and forth between Deku and Uraraka who was hidden behind the sink. Uraraka giggled a little and wondered if she should do this more often with Eri and Satoshi. The dog was excited at least.

"Why don't you go get the movie ready Eri? I'm gonna see what he wants to show me" Deku said as he ruffled the young girls hair a little.

"Ok" she said gleefully skipping back to the sofa. Deku walked over to his dog and peaked around the corner to see Uraraka sat on the kitchen floor. However she smiled and waved at him to reassure him it was nothing serious.

"Watcha doin'?" Deku asked rather playfully before taking a seat beside her.

"Oh you know. Best seats in the house here. Got a lovely view of the oven" Uraraka joked as she rested her head on his shoulder and held his hand.

"You missed your calling as a comedian" Deku chuckled. As he put his free arm around her and continued to hold her hand.

"Fudge you" she replied. A more polite way of saying "fuck you". It made them both smile. Until Deku decided to get back to it.

"Seriously though Ochako. What's up? Are your pains getting worse again?" he asked. Uraraka thought about what to say or how she was going to tell him but instead she decided to just rip the band aid off.

"I'm gonna stop working" she informed him. For a moment Deku didn't say anything.

"I know we said we'd work the case together but I'm pretty heavily pregnant at this point and I'm starting to- hmph?" she was interrupted by Deku kissing her.

I swear I can never get tired of this. He's such a  good kisser.

"You don't have to explain yourself to me. If you say you're ready to start your maternity leave then you're ready. Don't worry about the case, or about your parents, your career or anything else. What matters most right now is that you're healthy and do what you feel is right for this baby" Deku assured her. She was still somewhat mesmerised from the kiss and was somewhat giving him the "fuck me" eyes but she appreciated what he was saying.

"It's your baby too. You should have a say" Uraraka replied but he shook his head.

"On some things yes I should. But this isn't about me. This is about you and your health. Besides, if it had been up to me you would've been on leave a lot sooner" Deku said before standing up and offering his hand.

"Well. Thank you for respecting my decisions" Uraraka replied as she took his hand and he assisted her onto her feet.

"Of course. I trust you Ochako" he said before going in for another kiss. However she placed a finger on his lips.

"I know what you're after mister but I believe our daughter wants a family movie night and I don't think that would be very good parenting would it?" Uraraka teased. Deku had a slight smirk on his face but he accepted defeat.

"I suppose not. She better have picked a good movie" Deku said before sneaking in a kiss on the cheek instead. Uraraka smiled as Deku went to join Eri on the sofa. For a moment she felt guilty for choosing to go on leave but it was the right thing to do. She knew that. She'd known that for a long time too. It just felt like she was betraying everything she'd worked for. She was earning money and saving some for her parents so she could get them a nice home to retire in and not have to worry about money again. Business was good right now but she knew how quickly that could change in their industry and it still wasn't enough to have a comfortable retirement. Her parents would need to work a lot more jobs before that was possible.

"Come on Ochako we've saved you a seat" Deku said as he waved her over and patted the space next to him.

He's right. This is about me and staying healthy for the sake of the baby. I can't be worrying about anything else. This is the right thing to do and it would be ridiculous to keep working through this. From here on out my number one priority is my pregnancy.

She walked over, assured with her decision and sat down next to Deku. He had Eri and Uraraka both snuggled up to him on either side with Satoshi lay across both his and Uraraka's lap. He was very happy where he was right now but in the back of his mind he was worried. The killer was still on the loose. Himiko was possibly assisting them and there was a potential cover up going on too. For now he tried to enjoy his time with his family and worry about his investigation tomorrow when he gets back to work. However something told him that answers were not exactly going to be forthcoming...