"I like walking," I tell him blandly. The truth is, it's an easy way to re-build my stamina after months of languishing in the clinic and my bed. I'll make slow and steady progress until I can take up the harder pack training.

Braxton doesn't argue as he falls into step next to me. He left his truck in our driveway, running, with both doors open and the keys inside. I guess he figures that the walk to school is short, and then he can sprint back in about 30 seconds.

He shortens his stride to match mine. We walk in comfortable silence for a minute before he asks me, "when do you graduate?"

"Two more weeks," I tell him.

"Good."

"You're done with school?" I ask him.

"Yeah. Home for the summer. I'm thinking of transferring for next year, though."

"Really?" I say. "You go to State now, right?"

"Yeah, I wanted to go to a different school," he replies.

I have to think for a minute before it occurs to me, "you wanted to be away from everyone."

"Right," he says, a little clipped. The silence becomes a little more uncomfortable, then he softly apologizes, "sorry. It's a sore subject. I only had a year before everyone was on top of me again."

"Well, you've joined the walking wounded. Welcome to the Club," I joke, wincing at how inappropriate it is.

Braxton wraps his arm around my shoulders, but doesn't respond. I let him hold me for a little bit. He really is so toasty. Even my she-wolf responds, wagging her tail a bit at the sensation of warmth radiating through our too-cold body.

When we're a block from school, he drops his arm from around my shoulders without me having to ask. I feel a strange mixture of disappointment and relief. I have to keep distance between us, I remind myself sternly. He's probably already fueled speculation enough this morning.

"Hey, Ili, Braxton," Cinda skips over, her smile wide. I can see Teddy lurking at the edge of the parking lot, pretending that he's not stalking his mate to school and fooling absolutely no one.

"Hi, Cinda," I reply, smiling.

Braxton leans over me and murmurs, "Let me know if anyone gives you grief, today, right, Doll?" He gets so close to me that I can practically feel his lips brush my cheek. Braxton nods at Cinda, his face relaxed, but he doesn't greet her. "Bye, Ili. I'll see you after school."

"Um. Oh, OK," I reply, like a stammering idiot. Cinda grabs my hand, giggling, and tugs me away.

"He's so dreamy," she whispers. "Don't tell Teddy I said so."

"I won't," I reply wryly.

"Why did he have a heart sticker on his forehead?" she asks me.

"Fashion statement."

---

Braxton

"I want Iliana Thomas to be mine," I announce to Uncle Alex without even greeting him. I turn the sticker over and over in my hand, thrilled at her teasing, but miffed that she got me back. My fingers flex with the memory of how bony her shoulders felt under my hand, but my lips tingle from the faint kiss I laid on her cheek.

"Hello to you too, Braxton," he says with a raised eyebrow. At my resolute stare, he sighs and leans back in his chair. "I assumed you would, to be honest. You two were always hanging around each other. I was a little surprised that you didn't end up as truemates."