Chapter 6: Sleep Over

Start from the beginning

"Seven-thirty?" he whisper-yelled, "I should've been home two hours ago, the twins are probably starving!"

"That's why I ordered some food, you should wake up the twins before it gets cold though."

He nodded and turned back around, opening the door. I leaned against the door frame and watched him slink up to them and begin humming a song that I hadn't heard before. He slowly raised the volume of the tune he was humming and I noticed both the sleeping boys begin to stir. 

"Hey boys, it's time to get up. We've slept all day."

"I don't wanna."

"Me either."

"Devin got us food," he said to them in a sing-song tone.

"I am a little hungry."

"Me too," the other responded, "You have to carry us though, Bubby."

"Come on then," Alexander said picking them up in either arm and trailing off up the stairs as I followed closely behind.

"I wasn't sure what you all liked, but I heard Alexander say he made you all breakfast so..." I said after we had gotten seated around the kitchen table. I opened a to-go box and showed them four full platters consisting of bacon, eggs, pancakes, and some toast. The twins let out an excited squeak and Alexander turned to me giving me a thankful look.

"We love it, thank you, Devin," Alexander told me, giving me a genuinely appreciative smile as the twins had already begun digging into their food.

I couldn't help but feel a little awkward under the sincerity of his gaze. I wasn't used to people being genuine. That's the worst part of making it in the entertainment industry. There are so many fake people who only want to use me to elevate themselves. Other than my parents and Allie, I hadn't really trusted anyone in years. I felt a smile tugging at my lips. For some reason, I felt like I could add Alexander to the list of people I trusted.

A buzzing noise snapped me out of my thoughts. Alexander was muttering something and looking down at his phone.

"Everything okay?" I asked him, noticing a small frown etch across his face.

"Not really, I told Kai he could meet me at my house after I got off work. I'm pretty sure he thinks I've gone and gotten myself killed," he laughed.

"Just tell him you fell asleep," I told him. Kai already doesn't like me, if he thinks I got Alexander hurt again he might just kill me in my sleep. He's got those crazy eyes that say murder isn't completely off the table.

"I did, he's wondering why I fell asleep here though."

"Why don't you have him come here instead? I can order some food for him too if he wants."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, totally," I replied being pretty sure that wasn't a good idea at all.

We finished eating and moved from the kitchen to the living room. Alexander got the twins settled by turning on some cartoons and I gave my gate guards a quick description of Kai so they would allow him in.

I settled down in the recliner beside the couch that the twins and Alexander were sat on. We chatted about work and the interview request I had decided to do. He was worried that the questions would be a little more personal than I was used to but I told him that was what piqued my interest in it in the first place.

It wasn't long after that we heard the doorbell ring.

"I'll get it," I said already moving towards the front door to let Kai in.