Chapter 18 - "They abandoned the ship."

Start from the beginning

"I asked Sparrow to sail with you so you'd have support, guidance. He was not there to spy or judge."

Alwyn knew this but still, sometimes it felt like that. One of her mother's closest friends watched their every move, how was he not there to judge their actions?

"Little Duchess," Raif said, his tone soothing. "What happened with your crew?"

There was no way out of this, she simply had to duck her head and barrel through it, hoping she made it to the other side.

"The crew," Alwyn said. She stopped, hating what she needed to admit to. The memory of her crew all watching her be carried off by the city guard made color creep into her cheeks. There was no way around it, she needed to fling the words out or they wouldn't come at all.

"They abandoned the ship."

Her parents waited and Alwyn locked her fingers together, forcing the story out.

"Tor questioned my position at every turn," she said, anger and humiliation burning her face. "He would follow Cyrus's commands but not mine. Each time I called him on his disrespect he would brush me off. In the West Isles, we were at a tavern and he told me I was unfit to be a captain. I fought him."

"And you lost?" Raif asked. The note of skepticism cheered Alwyn a bit, at least her father had faith in her ability.

"No," Alwyn said. "The city guard stopped the fight before I could defeat Tor and they...carried me off...I was locked up for the night."

She loved her father, loved the hint of amusement in his grey eyes and the way he held himself back from laughing. At least he found the whole thing funny instead of embarrassing. As always though, Isla betrayed nothing, but Alwyn knew that she was thinking hard.

"When she was taken off," Cyrus said. "Tor used the opportunity to turn the crew against her. Sparrow was able to convince three of them to return but...that was it."

"Did you say anything?" Isla asked.

Cyrus sighed. "I tried but it made no difference."

Guilt seeped into Alwyn's veins, because of her Cyrus looked less competent. A part of her wondered if she'd never been captain with him, would he have managed to keep the crew? Most likely. He'd kept the ship running when she'd stayed with Zavier. He knew how to lead. She was the failing.

"What about the sail?" Raif asked.

At least this story wasn't all bad. Though they were in debt to Hawk for the sail... Alwyn swore under her breath. Cyrus was right and she knew it, they never should have asked for a ship. Everything that had happened proved this.

"The sail was destroyed during an attack," Alwyn said. "We made it to Seau where we were able to replace it."

Raif raised his eyebrows. "That must have taken all the money you had."

Alwyn and Cyrus exchanged a look. If only they had been that prosperous in their recent endeavors. Which they hadn't. Their mother noticed and understood their shared look.

"Hawk?" Isla asked.

Alwyn nodded reluctantly. "He paid for it."

At the admittance, Isla cast a glance at her husband, who gazed at Alwyn and Cyrus. Neither of them had to say anything, but Alwyn knew. Two seasons and the result was less than ideal. It wasn't even less than, it was a disaster.

"And do you have a job lined up to pay him back?" Isla asked.

There was no judgment in the question yet Alwyn felt it all the same because of the answer she had to give. Luckily for her, she had Cyrus.