Chapter 11: A Blade Vow

Start from the beginning

The crowd parted for Hawkins and his entourage which unfortunately included me. We cut through a parting sea of thrones and House Agatha elite until we were at the front of the gathered throng. Seven performers danced within the circle. A man in white with a powdered face lept towards a woman dressed in a simple tunic. She thrusted a shaft at his chest and danced away, trailing a long bolt of red cloth. He collapsed to the ground even as a second white clad figure embraced her. He pressed his lips to her throat and she too collapsed, another bolt of red cloth draped over her neck. The dance continued until the floor was covered by sheets of blood red and a single man still stood. Unlike the others he was dressed in black and silver.

"Gaius Kain saw a different path for us, a different path for the world," sang the voice once more. This time it seemed to come from above us. "He united clan and coven under his leadership yet left to govern themselves. In exchange for fealty and tribute he offered peace and safety. These were the first Houses and he was our first king. His strength grew and those opposed to his vision gathered."

The humans danced out of the circle and more vampires danced in. They stood as one, a wall in opposition to Kain. Uncowed he stepped forward and the gathered masses pushed him back. He tried again, and once more he was forced to retreat. Then two men joined him, one powder pale and the other my complexion. Both were dressed in black and silver.

"Must he be so dark?" Hawkins whispered into Sybil's ear.

"History is history," I whispered in reply. The look on his face brought a smile to my lips.

"Maximus and Kha the Ethiopian, brothers sired by the same blood mother, offered their lives to Gaius Kain and his cause. In return he gave them swords washed in his own blood. He said:

Bring me the heads of my enemies," the hitherto feminine voice turned bass and harsh, "and I will elevate you above all others. You will be my blades in the night. You will be the throne on which I sit."

The men, Maximus and Kha, accepted the blades and danced into the wall of vampires. With each spin another enemy fell and more blood covered the floor.

"None could stand against Gaius's Great Houses or his thrones. Eventually all bowed before his might. He brought order by forcing vampirekind into the shadows, but his vision did not end there. Humans were still afraid, still searching for the monsters of their nightmares. So Kain demanded that all withdraw from mankind, giving them the day and us the night. Again there was resistance, and again the thrones built his empire."

The dancers fled into the crowd until all that was left was the pile of red cloth. The collection of fabric spun slowly, rising up in the center until it draped over a towering form. Long sinewy arms emerged from the confines and gestured imploringly toward a cowled figure dressed in black and silver robes. The figure in black threw back his cowl revealing Lord Clovis's stern visage.

"Though times have changed," the voice returned to its feminine range. The sound was now coming from the tall figure in the center of the circle. "The king still needs his swords to maintain his laws and keep his kingdom safe.

Those long pale arms gestured to the opposite side of the circle where another robed figure waited wearing Agatha red. The figure approached the center and threw back her cowl. She had almond colored nearly feline eyes, a small Nubian nose, and sun kissed bronze skin. Her lips were full, her long chocolate colored hair hung in loose curls.

I heard someone else say it first, but I had to agree. She was beautiful.

The towering figure in the center of the room drew out a silver blade, too short to be a sword but too long to be a knife. A throne's dagger. Lord Clovis stepped into the circle as the beautiful woman took the blade in her hands. The tall creature spun around faster and faster until the cloth was a blur. Then it all vanished in a rush of energy, drawing gasp from the crowd. All thrones had a similar induction ceremony, but such an elaborate show was reserved for prominent members of their Houses.

"Now, Ariane pledges her sword and her life to our king and the protection of his laws." Once more the voice came from the air above.

Ariane dropped to a knee and offered her sword up to Clovis. With deliberate solemn motions he accepted her blade. Cutting his palm, he allowed his thick black-red blood to ooze along the metal.

"You will be his blade in the night. You will be the throne on which he sits," he said.

Lord Clovis returned the sword to Ariane's hands and, just like that, history was made.

Everyone clapped, well everyone except Hawkins and his companions. Though the crowd smiled and celebrated, I knew that many of those around me would do whatever they could to undermine the Initiative. We were an old people, guided by tradition. Many saw change as a river to be dammed up and thwarted at all costs. The avatars of Gorgon's Houses clapped and smiled, but none seemed happy.

A hand grabbed me roughly by the shoulder and spun me around.

"Michele, we have to go," Gates said, her face stricken with panic.

"What is it? What's happening?"

"We have to go to The Doc. It's Carlos."