Chapter 16

Heather's POV

After spending a few hours in my cell by either watching T.V. or vaguely answering the questions about my powers I was asked, I was informed that the guest room I would be staying in was ready before time and that I'd be shifting right then.

I was happy to be out of that observation cell, covered by glass on all sides except one, and into a proper room so I could have the least bit of privacy.

When I got to the room, I saw another set of spare clothes on the bed so I could shower before going to bed. I heaved a sigh of relief when I got there and locked the door behind me. 

Finally, I'm alone.

Since there was no need to hold up pretences, I plopped down on the bed face first and let out a low groan. Turning to lay on my back I groaned yet again because my 78-year old self's back was hurting. 

78-year olds probably have a better back than you.

I heard Carl's voice. Immediately my eyes flew open and I sat up to see my ghosties (ghost besties, I know, very cool) appear out of nowhere.

"Where were you guys? I didn't see you for almost the whole day!" I exclaimed.

"Heath, babe, we don't participate in third wheeling on purpose, thanks." Retorted Mannie.

I could feel my cheeks heating up and a shy, embarrassed smile creeped up on my face. I tucked my hair behind my ear and picked up a pillow to cover my face with. Those rascals laughed at my embarrassment and I suddenly wished Teresa was here to save me from them. Though she'd probably take their side in teasing me.

I slowly put the pillow back down and tried to control my smile. 

"Guys he's so cute." I whined and leaned to my right, laying down.

"Whipped."

"Simp."

I heard their comments and rolled my eyes, still smiling wide.

"I don't care what you say, I'm going to shoot my shot. We'll become comfortable with each other first, then he'll trust me and open up to me and then we'll fall in love." I stated.

"Alright don't get too ahea-" Pierre was cut off as someone knocked on my door. 

"Come in." The door opened to reveal Nat with a suspicious expression on her face.

"Who were you talking to? I heard voices."

"Hm. I guess there's no point in hiding it now, is there?" I said as I extended my aura to my ghosties. They gained dimension and became visible to Nat, who now had a slight shocked expression, but covered it as quickly as it came. 

"Yeah, I kind of guessed it was something like this." They waved at Nat who waved back, all while Pierre and Mannie smiled awkwardly. It was like a scene out of a comedy and I let out a slight chuckle at that. I let the energy go and they disappeared (for Nat, as I can see them all the time unless they wish not to show themselves at all). 

Nat turned to look at me. "Well I guess you decided not to be vague about your powers anymore." she rose an eyebrow at me.

"Yeah I'm a bit more well rested and out of that freaky cell so I thought 'why not just show 'em'." I shrugged. She nodded at that again and asked me to come with her as it was dinner time. We walked over to the sitting and dining rooms that were attached to the kitchen that Bucky and I were in before. I saw almost all of the Avengers minus Spidey lounging about the sitting room, and Steve, Bucky and Sam sitting and the dining table. 

Dr. Banner looked up at Nat when we entered and then went back to heavily concentrate on his food. I smirked at that scene and walked over to get some food for myself too. I was already being treated as part of this dysfunctional family. It was kinda nice.

Or maybe they want to loosen you up and then interrogate you. Carl said.

Well yeah, I mean that does make sense. I have answers to give, and haven't been titled a threat so this works.

"So, Ms. Ragan. What's all this about your powers?" Stark asked casually, taking a bite. Rhodey rolled his eyes at his very inconspicuous approach while I laughed silently in my head.

You guys okay with revealing yourselves? Sorry I didn't ask you before.

I asked my ghosties, guilty for not confirming that earlier when I exposed them to Nat. They all shrugged, agreeing instantly.

"Are there any cameras here?" I asked looking around.

"There were, but they were the few ones I was able to disable." I nodded at what Stark said.

I sat down and waved my hand like Elsa, making my friends appear to the others.

"Woah!" exclaimed the twins, Pietro even dropping his fork. Everyone was shocked but not to the extent normal people would be, either because they expected something like this like Nat, or because they were excellent at controlling their expressions. Or both. Definitely both. The funniest part was Sam's expression that literally spelled out What the fuck?

"I can see the dead, talk to them, work with them. You can't see them unless I give them dimension, and....well, yeah that's basically it. That's how we get a lot of our missions done and that's how I relayed your message to Jes. I can talk to them using telepathy, and as of now, the range for communication is at least a few hundred miles. Haven't really checked how far we can go."

Steve opened his mouth but I cut him off with another piece of information.

"Oh yeah I can also render people unconscious and even k-word them by only touching them. Sometimes I don't even need to do that." I said the last part lowly because that "sometimes" only happens when I take a potion, but they don't need to know about that right now. It's something Matt and I are equally scared of, and admire. So, we keep it a secret unless we really trust someone. 

"That makes a lot of sense." Sam stated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter was going to be longer but then there was no telling how long so yeah i stopped here :)

Tell me how you liked it! And if it was confusing or okay, I'd really like to know <3

If you feel like my writing is getting worse then you are absolutely correct 😭😂. I think one of the reasons why I wasn't able to post frequently was the fact that I'm a perfectionist and I used to want to make each chapter, each paragraph as perfect as I could and that kinda took the fun out of writing. But now that I'm better, I've just come to the conclusion to fuck it and write what I want to and edit later, preferably after the book's finished. So hope you hang in there and keep supporting my story!!

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe, love ya!

~z