Oh, and he's white. When my mom first told me she was dating a white man, I was surprised to say the least. She's never shown any interest in white men before. But after I saw him, I understood exactly why she chose him. I'm a girl, I have eyes! Even though he looks like the leader of some biker gang, Max is a beautiful fucking man!

It's definitely strange that a guy like him is my stepfather. My friend Kim, who I met at my very public school that I had to beg mom and Max to let me go to because being in a private preppy school with a bunch of rich white kids is the equivalent to hell on earth for me. After a long battle, they finally relented. Anyway, Kim, a cute little Japanese girl with a thick southern accent, seemed to have no problem letting me know every chance she got how sexy she thinks my step-father is.

That's always fun to hear...

I often wonder how such a man can be so mysterious. Why do I not know exactly what it is that he does for a living? Why is he so respected in this community that the Mayor, county sheriff and multiple politicians came here to welcome him back home? His families name means something in this state.

"He comes from old money sweetheart. Don't worry about," my mother had laughed it off when Lily and I pressed her about it.

It's been about four months since I asked that question and I'm still clueless. I do know that he was married once though, to Ethan and Kings mother. I don't know how long they were married for or why they eventually got divorced, and when Lily tried to ask mom about it one day, they argued about it and like always, I had to diffuse the situation.

Mom never wanted to give us any details about Max. She just always said he's a good man. He's a good man... But I'm just as curious as Lily is. I want to know his ex-wife's name and what she looks like. Is she white? Black? Is she fat or skinny? Is she pretty? Is she nice? Why did they get divorced? Is she even alive?

Matter of fact, how old is Max? What kind of businesses does he own? Are his parents alive and if so, why haven't we met them yet? How many siblings does he have? What was it like growing up in the south back in the day from a white mans point of view? Why has it taken this long for him to introduce his sons to me? What does he love so much about my mom? Has he always been attracted to black women? Or is this just a phase...? Why does he carry a gun all the time...? Why does he have so many men working directly under him like he's some kind of mob boss?

I want answers to these questions... But I don't want to step on any toes and my mom has just been so happy lately. I don't want to interrupt that... I guess when the time is right, I'll ask these questions. No rush, we have the rest of our lives I suppose.

I watched my breath fog the Palladian style window in our living room and disappear again as I wait nervously on a small bench by the window. I watched my beautiful mother run around the house for days now, trying to get everything to be perfect for the boys. Now she paced back and forth in the living room, with her hair neatly straightened and styled with a side part, she looked gorgeous.

She always looked gorgeous though. It was hard not to with her long natural hair that stopped right below her breasts and was cut to frame her face in beautiful layers. Moms cat shaped brown eyes were framed with long lashes. Her eyebrows were waxed and plucked to perfection and my mom's full lips had the slightest sheen to them. Lily and I inhabited her eyes and her button nose but I have my father's heart shaped face and his high cheek bones while Lily inherited mom's longer face and Cupid bow lips.

We all looked the same in some way or another, though mom's skin was more the color of mocha these days from all the time she's spent in the sun this summer.

I watch my pace and wring her hands repeatedly and I realize that she's way more nervous than I am. I'm nervous because I hate meeting new people, I strongly dislike change but I also have this irrational desire to be accepted , thus giving me anxiety. But mom is nervous for totally different reasons. She basically has to become a mother to two new people. She wants them to have a good life here. She wants them to accept and grow to love her as their stepmother. I can't imagine that kind of pressure...