Rescue

My consent wasn't welcomed but neither was the touch that followed. I spoke up but my voice was silenced. A silence so deep a knife wouldn't slice it.

My eyes constantly watered my cheeks like a garden ready to bloom. My mind constantly raced like a car on a never-ending race track. I wanted nothing more than to feel normal again.

I waited to enter the ADA's office to go over my testimony. I knew I had to, if I didn't who would. I couldn't let him hurt another woman. My mind was jumbled with all the possibilities of what could happen.

"Babe? You okay?" Isaiah whispered into my ear next to me.

"Huh, oh yes. I just want to get this over with." I responded. I squeezed his hand a little. I had been holding it since we left the restaurant this evening, it gave me a sense of security.

"I promise everything will be okay my sweet! I will be here with you no matter what happens!" His eyes told the story of reassurance that gave me the confidence I needed.

"Ms. Williams, I'm ready for you." Mrs. Conner said from her office door. I gave Isaiah's hand one final squeeze before I stood to my feet to enter her office.

"You got this baby!" Isaiah cheered me on with a wide smile on his face.

I entered Mrs. Conner's office with her and she motioned for me to sit in the seat in front of her desk.

"Are you ready for this Kaydence?" She asked me with a reassuring smile, "The defense attorney will do everything they can to break you on the stand, my job is to give you a voice."

"I'm scared, what if I can't do it?" I looked down at my hands, I couldn't face her heated gaze.

"Kaydence, did I ever tell you why I became a lawyer for special victims?" She asked me and I just shook my head no, "I chose this career because someone took my sister's voice like they are trying to take yours. She ended her life shortly after because they never found her attacker. No one rescued her."

My eyes shot up meeting hers, "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay honey. I just want you to know that I will stop at nothing to get you justice! I will never let your voice be silenced! You deserve to be heard!" Mrs. Conner smiled at me confidently.

"Okay. Let's do this." I said as confidently as I could. We spent hours going over my testimony after that. I had a new sense of confidence.

The next morning I strut right up to the bench. I sat down and crossed on leg over then looked directly at the man that tried to take it all from me.

"Do you solemnly swear that you shall tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?"

I placed my hand on the bible, my eyes never leaving his own eyes, "I solemnly swear that I shall tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."