Chapter Seventeen- Charlotte

Start from the beginning

I knew that was easier said than done, but I didn't want him anywhere near this.

He didn't answer, and I could see that he was considering pressing me on it.

"Okay? I repeated.

"Okay." He nodded reluctantly.

"I mean it."

"Okay, mom. I promise I'll try not to worry."

"Thank you." I kissed the top of his head. "Now, if you head back to bed, you might be able to get another hour or two before you have to get up for school."

"Actually, I can't..." A smile spread across his lips. "I have football practice this morning. We have a big game on Friday."

"But..." I was confused. Hadn't his suspension included football?

"Coach has been impressed with how hard I have been working to prove myself to him again and he said if I continue to stay on the right track, I can have my starting job back." Leo was elated, and I could see it on his face.

"That's amazing, Leo. I'm so proud of you." I hugged him tightly. I knew how much football meant to him, and I also knew how hard he'd been working to get back in his coach's good graces. "I'll be there."

"I hope dad will, too." His face fell a bit. I hoped he would, too.

"You better get going. Can't be late." I mustered up the biggest smile I could. "I'll see you after school."

"I love you, mom." Leo gave me another hug before heading inside.

I took a few more minutes to compose myself before I went in myself. I had to be strong today. Luca needed me and I couldn't break down. He needed Marco and me on the outside fighting for him, and that was exactly what I was going to do. I wasn't going to let him be railroaded into this.

Cole and Lucy got off to school as well, and before I knew it, Marco was there to pick me up. We rode over to the courthouse together and, although we both tried to remain upbeat, we were apprehensive. It wasn't likely things would go our way today. The very best-case scenario was Luca would get bail and then we could start the process of getting him out. Worst-case scenario, they would remand him and then he'd be stuck there until trial, and who knew how long that could be?

The court house was already packed by the time we got there and Peterson met us at the car to help run interference. Marco kept a tight hold on my arm as he led me through the sea of people and fought off cameras and reporters. News and broke about Luca being arrested and it was front page news. They were already trying to paint him in a horrible light, and I couldn't stand to hear about it.

"Those people are sick." I shook my head once we were finally safe and inside.

"They're just doing their job, Charlotte. They're latching onto the biggest news story and running with it. Just ignore them the best you can." Stone gave me a placating smile.

He had worked for Luca for years and saved us more times than I could count, but I wasn't his biggest fan.

"You okay?" Marco asked, checking in.

I nodded. "I just want this all to be over with.

"Me too. Let's go sit down." I followed Marco into the courtroom and we took our seats in the front row. Thank goodness they weren't letting reporters into the courtroom, but there were several cops and detectives on the other side.

I glanced up and down the rows and my heart nearly stopped when I saw who was sitting at the end of one.

"That son of a bitch." I whispered, fighting every urge in my body to rush over there.

"What?" Marco frowned.

"That's the cop Layla was dating. Right there." I pointed him out.

Hunter looked up right as Marco and I glanced over. As soon as his eyes met mine, he looked away.

"You're sure?"

"Positive."

Macro's jaw hardened. "I'm sending someone to the school to keep an eye on Layla."

I nodded. Of course, he was involved. Luca had been right to be suspicious and now the kid was sitting here ready to watch the judge throw the book at Luca. That was just too perfect. All I could see was red. If that kid got near me, I would rip him to shreds. How dare he use my daughter to get to Luca that way?

The door to the side opened and a few officers led Luca and Angelo in. They were both handcuffed and dressed in orange jumpsuits. It took everything I had not to burst into tears when I saw them. They were being arraigned together because the cases were connected, but after today, everything would be separated because the charges were different. They were saying Angelo was an accomplice, but Luca had been the one to pull the trigger.

Luca's eye met mine and I so badly wanted to run to him. He looked okay, but I wanted to get my hands on him to be sure. He was disheveled and looked like he hadn't slept in days, but for the most part, he was okay, and that was a huge relief. Angelo was about the same. My heart broke into a million pieces as I watched them paraded through the courtroom and sat down at their chairs. It was so unfair.

Luca gave me a small smile and a wink, trying to shrug off any apprehension I had. He wanted me to think he was doing great, but I knew better than that. He looked worried, and that made me even more worried.

"All rise." The bailiff announced, and everyone in the courtroom stood up as the judge entered.

"You can be seated." The judge said, taking a seat. Her face was expressionless as she looked over the paperwork.

"In the case of Luca Catalano and Angelo Deltorio, how do you plead?" She got right to the point.

"Not guilty, your Honor," Peterson answered. "These charges are completed, fabricated by some vindictive cops on the NYPD and my clients are being drug through the mud because of it."

"Mr. Whittaker?" She turned to the DA. I hadn't noticed my boss was sitting at the table on the other side yet.

"The people are requesting remand, your honor. The defendants are flight risks with no ties to the community. They have ample resources to flee the country at any given second."

"No ties?" Peterson scoffed. "Both of these men have families and are active members of the community. They'd be happy to surrender their passports while we sort this whole thing out, but keeping them locked in jail is ludicrous."

"Passports mean nothing to a Mafia Don and his Capo, your honor." Whittaker rolled his eyes.

"Your honor, DA Whittaker is once again trying to disparage my client's names. They have no connection to the mafia or any organized crime for that matter and suggesting so is swaying the entire court."

"I've heard enough." The judge held her hand up. "While I agree with you, Mr. Peterson, the charges against your clients are very severe, no matter their ties to the community. Mr. Whittaker, you're on thin ice. I don't want to hear any other insinuations about these men that can't be proven."

"Understood, your honor."

"The defendants will be remanded to Rikers Island pending trial."

After that was announced, the courtroom turned to absolute chaos.

Luca turned to me quickly. "It's going to be okay, I promise." He grabbed my hand over the divider.

"I love you." I whispered, leaning forward and giving him a quick kiss before the officers carted him away.

"I love you, too." He called over his shoulder. "Be strong."

I gave Angelo a quick hug also and then he was taken away.

We had been in the room with them for less than 5 minutes and I was left feeling completely helpless. This wasn't going to be a fair fight. Marco and I were going to have our work cut out for us.