The Dive

Image Credit: Zelda Dungeon

Dark clouds. Trevor remembered what his mother said about the weather on the day everything changed.

It wasn't supposed to rain. The day would be perfect for her son and his friends.

For a time, it was. Trevor and the others smiled in the classroom they learned in at school.

They laughed on the bus, chattered during lunch and plotted during a competition against the fifth graders.

Everything went according to a plan. The day was beautiful. Children were meant to enjoy it.

Nothing could have gone wrong—but then the sky darkened.

Lightning crashed to the Earth. Nature had an outburst, a rage it could no longer contain.

The ground shook. Trevor recalled how it tore open, crumbling into countless clumps of grass, dirt and rock. A pitch black abyss pulled him in.

Trevor tried to reach out for anything that could keep him above ground.

He found nothing.

Everything turned dark.

Trevor thought he died at first, but a voice said otherwise: "Trevor!"

His eyes snapped open. Trevor jolted his body off a hard, rigid surface.

Trevor gulped in sweltering air. His throat grew parched and he coughed while his best friend Jerome pulled him up. His weary eyes looked around.

The children found themselves in a narrow canyon. The path was wide enough for someone to stretch out their arms from side to side without touching the red rock walls covered in moss and fungi.

White vapors wisped from the floor like spirits rising out of their graves. The smoke faded as soon as it rose above Trevor's head, but the heat lingered.

Rebecca and Sheila embraced one another a short distance away. Sheila seemed to cry on Rebecca's shoulder, scared of what happened to them all.

The look on Rebecca's face showed fear as well. She always kept herself tough.

Trevor could tell. He did the same thing all the time, lying with his eyes and his smile so no one could know what was really happening.

"Jerome," Trevor rasped. "Where are we?"

Of course, Trevor already knew the answer.

His friends didn't know.

No one did.

NOW

Zora's domain was like a maze. It had so many corners Trevor didn't want to see, so many walls of glistening silver stone he didn't need to find himself blinded by.

Eventually, he made his way onto a path that inclined. It curved upward like a hill and Trevor followed it.

He felt alone by the time he reached the path's end and the loneliness was enough to make him stop.

Water rose up to the top of his ankles. The cold touch made him shiver. Trevor was careful not to let his feelings get the best of him.

He didn't want to make a single drop rise from the surface by mistake. It happened before and happened in a far worse way.

His heart pounded every time he thought of that day at the lake outside of Oak Shire. He almost did the worst possible thing and he didn't know how to respond to such a mistake.