Maya laughs.

"Don't you think it's a little early for that? I'm not even fourteen yet"

Diana shrugs.

"I dunno. I had my first "boyfriend" when I was six.......though you couldn't exactly call it a relationship if we never did anything besides play Quidditch together"

"Do you have a crush on anyone, at the moment?"

Diana makes a face.

"I don't know......honestly, I doubt anyone in my year is crush-worthy at all. And besides,, who wants to tie themselves down so early? I want to be able to have fun before I let anyone get a piece of this"

She gestures to herself dramatically as Maya snickers, brushing a strand of stray hair out of her face before going back to finish the last paragraph of her essay. Maya opens her water bottle, twisting off the cap, and taking a deep gulp to quench her thirst.

"What about you?" asks Diana, looking back to her textbook, "Do you fancy anyone? Like, I don't know........my brother?"

Maya's eyes go wide, and she almost spits her water out as Diana snorts. Her friend thumps her on the back, effectively stopping her from choking as she manages to swallow some of the water.

"What the fuck?!" she practically screeches, cheeks blossoming an angry red, "Why would that even cross your mind?"

Diana smirks.

"So it is true"

"What is wrong with you?"

"You act so nervous around him.....is there something going on between you two?"

If only she knew.

Though it's nothing of the sort that Diana's hinting about.

"No. Just no."

Maya doesn't even find him remotely attractive, at least not in the way Diana is suggesting. Sure, he's tall, and rich....okay, fine and looks somewhat decent. But his smug, stuck-up attitude ruins everything for her, especially the prejudice against anyone who isn't a pureblood. He somehow knows exactly how to irritate her, get under her skin, and if it weren't for the deal, she's sure that he'd never be in her life in the first place.

He's not even close to her type.

Right?

"Suuure" drawls Diana, making Maya roll her eyes.

"I'm serious. I don't even like him normally, much less in that way."

"Whatever you say, Gryffindor"

Maya sighs, placing her head in her hands.

"You're not going to let go of this, are you?"

Diana grins wolfishly.

"Never"

On the Saturday before the first task, all students in the third year and above are permitted to visit the village of Hogsmeade. Hermione drags a begrudging Maya away from the castle, stating that it would do her good to get away from the castle for a bit, and brings her to persuade Harry.

"What about Ron, though?" he says, to Hermione. "Don't you want to go with him?"

"Oh . . . well . . ." Hermione goes slightly pink. "I thought we might meet up with him in the Three Broomsticks. . . ."

"No," says Harry flatly.

Maya sighs, running a hand through her hair.

"Oh Harry, this is so stupid —"