Chapter 17: Dream Doesn't Have A House

The sun shone brightly through the window of the cabin. Mellohi squinted her eyes against the light, but eventually gave up on returning to slumber. She groggily tried to reach for her blindfold. Strangely enough, she found it was just out of her reach.

Mellohi glanced down cautiously. Leaning against her shoulder, fast asleep, was Tommy. The two kids had fallen asleep after trying—and failing—to pull an all-nighter, because Technoblade bet them each a diamond block they couldn't do it. Turned out he was right, and they were too exhausted from the week's events. They ended up passing out around one o'clock.

The little Enderman smiled lopsidedly. She would be stuck there for a while, for she refused to wake her best friend. To pass the time, she began to hum a sweet but haunting tune. Tenderly, the girl caressed Stal's flower pot, reminiscing her fond memories with it. She was happy to see a little sprout peeking out from the soil.

"Oh, ashes ashes, dust to dust," Mellohi sang softly. "The devil's after both of us. Lay my curses out to rest. Make a mercy out of me."

As she sang, she felt her best friend begin to stir. He groaned, lifting his weary head.

"All my aching bones are trembling, and I may yet fall apart. Won't you stay with me, my darling, when the war starts in my heart? When the war starts in my heart?"

Tommy rubbed the sleep from his eyes, and he stared at the Enderman in confusion.

"Oh, ashes, ashes, dust to dust. Tell me I am good enough. Lay my curses out to rest. Make a mercy out of...."

Mellohi frowned, feeling the song hit hard. She glanced at her human friend, who smirked. All the sorrow left her heart as she basked in his company.

Suddenly, Technoblade poked his head down from the attic, startling the two children and ruining the moment.

"Would you keep it down?" he snapped. "I'm trying to sleep."

"Sorry." Mellohi grinned apologetically.

"Well, since you're up, make us breakfast," Tommy demanded. Techno shakily sighed and clambered down the ladder. His hair, normally tied in a neat braid, was now a long, disheveled mess of pink. He had bags under his eyes, as if he hadn't slept a wink, and he was wearing pajamas with black crows on them.

"You look like shit," Tommy remarked.

"Thanks for noticing," Techno deadpanned as he placed a pot of water on the furnace.

"I think you look simply stunning," Mellohi chirped as she took a seat on the windowsill. Techno paused.

"Thanks, kid," he murmured.

"Of course!" She lounged with her feet high up against the sill and her hands behind her head. She looked equally as bad as Techno, with her mop of indigo sticking out in all directions, dark circles under her eyes (but not as bad as the hybrid's), and a wrinkled crow onesie that Phil had gifted her. "You know, I could braid your hair later."

"Do you know how to braid?"

"No."

He chuckled. "That's what I thought." After he finished brewing his tea, he pulled out a carton of eggs and asked, "How many do you want?"