White Lies | one | secrets

Börja om från början

"Can I see you today? There is something that I need to tell you," you spoke slowly through the phone.

With every word you said to him, you felt your heartbeat slowly rising, increasing with every bit of hope you had to have him agree to meet you today. The day had already begun with pure disappointment when you arrived at this diner only to find that he had not been here to meet you as promised, but you did all you could to brush it away.

The fact that he had been constantly missing out on your regular hangout schedules either with you alone or the days spent with your friends had certainly not been missed, so it should have no longer surprised you to see that he was not there when you came in for lunch. On any other day, you would only brush it off, already knowing where he would be when he was not there.

But today was different. Today, it was important for you to have him there. Today would be the time when you needed him the most.

So you held up hope as you called for him. Yet the deep sigh that came from the other side as your answer quickly crushed your hopes into dust even before he even said a thing to further break you apart.

"I'm sorry, I can't today. Mina's mother is visiting, they asked me to drive them around town," he answered you through the phone with a low voice, regretting every word he said. "What about tomorrow?'

Something pinched at your chest and you had to suck a deep breath to hold it in. A mix of your pain and your exasperation boiled together inside you when you realised that he never even mentioned the fact that he was supposed to be meeting you today.

He had totally forgotten about it.

"That's fine. I'll call you."

Without even waiting for his answer, you quickly turned off the call and placed your phone on the table before you, its screen facing down just so you would not be tempted to reach out to it again. Your eyes fell on the brown envelope that you had placed next to your untouched coffee, and a bitter smile came to your face as you thought about its content.

"_______."

As your name was called, you raised your head to see two of your closest friends coming to your table. Their heights and strong build, mixed with their incredibly attractive looks, made a few heads turn. Though at the same time, their presence was quite intimidating that not a lot of people around you dared to look for too long.

"Hey, Namjoon. Hey, Jin," you greeted them with a forced smile and nodded at the empty seats across from you so they could join you in your booth.

"What are you doing here all alone?" Namjoon questioned you as he sat down, while Seokjin reached for the menu. "I thought you said you were meeting Taehyung here? That's why we came."

"Yeah, well—" you stopped and sighed, thinking back to the short conversation that you just had with him. "He apparently decided to cancel without even letting me know."

A sarcastic scoff left your lips the moment you said those words out loud and the tight pinch you felt in your chest turned into anger. You simply could not believe that he simply forgot, and as much as you wanted so badly to not blame him for it, it was hard for you to deny your own feelings, the disdain you felt for being neglected by your own best friend.

Having your thoughts wandering about, you almost forgot that you were no longer alone. You felt their eyes on you and slowly raised your coffee, sipping it slowly to mask whatever reaction written on your face. It had seemed futile, however, when you caught Seokjin's gaze the moment you placed the cup and saw him looking at you with an apologetic smile and a concerned look in his eyes.