Chapter 10: Selfish

Start from the beginning

"Maeve sit down, let Courtney do your makeup," Alessandra says, ushering me to the vanity chair.

"Thank god, let's cover those hideous freckles!" Courtney says, emptying the contents of her makeup bag.

"Courtney!" Alessandra objected.

"Ally, it's okay," I mumble to Alessandra, "go ahead," I tell Courtney.

After Courtney applies the make up I look at myself in the mirror, and it looks amazing, I can't deny it.

Does it make me look pretty?

As I'm looking in the mirror I feel a body crash into my side. I look down and see Gio dressed in a navy suit with a blue and white shark-print clip-on bow tie. "You look handsome, Giovanni," I say his full name.

"Don't call me that!" Gio whines, crossing his arms.

"Why?" I ask him genuinely curious.

"I don't like that name!" Gio explains.

"My father's name is Giovanni, " I remember. Looking at Gio now reminds me of my dad. Gio looks similar to him in old photos I've seen of my dad, except my dad had freckles just like me, and Gio doesn't.

Who am I kidding? Gio doesn't look like papà, I haven't even seen that photo in over 10 years.

"Come on Maeve, let's do your hair!" Sabrina shouts and I rush over to her. Sabrina is very talented when it comes to hair. She lets my naturally wavy hair down and curls my curtain bangs away from my face. "You look gorgeous Maeve," Sabrina coos in my ear, and I almost believe her.

___ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ___

We soon arrive at the gala venue where the boys are waiting for us.

When we get out of the car I spot them waiting out front. We walk up to them and Luca and Marcus instantly start talking about 'how amazing we look'. I look at Elias and his face is emotionless.

"Doesn't Maeve look great, E?" Alessandra says and I smile.

"Whatever," Elias replies, monotoned, walking away.

My smile drops.

Why is he suddenly so cold?

We follow after him into the venue, where we part ways. Gio goes off with some other kids, Marcus with Alessandra, and Sabrina with Luca, leaving me with Elias.

Elias continues to walk and I fall behind, he stops for a moment so I can catch up. When I finally do he turns to look at me; He firmly grabs my jaw and tilts my face upwards. He grimaces at me and my heart starts to ache.

Why is he looking at me like that? Why is he being like this? When he usually looks at me I feel butterflies, but now I feel... Worthless.

He drops his hand from my face and grabs my wrist. He pulls me through the crowd of people, not caring about the shouts of the people he shoves. We stop at the men's restroom and he pushes me through the door. One look from Elias and all the men in the bathroom skitter out.

Elias grabs me by the waist and sets me on the bathroom counter, one hand resting on my thigh, keeping me from leaving. He grabs a handful of paper towels and runs them under the sink. Elias stares at me blankly then lifts the wet paper towel to my cheeks, "don't cover your freckles... I like them." Elias says almost angrily.