Anger

The Superfriends were seated at the table in the Tower after a mission. They had been at a high-tech lab, which had been attacked by a rogue Dominator. The worst injury received was a sprained wrist, which Alex got when she was thrown into a table by the alien.

Nia sighed. It felt like they weren't even getting anything done. Did all of them really need to meet after an hour-long mission and just talk? There was no point. She was exhausted and her hair was plastered with something that had spilled when she was knocked onto a table full of science liquids.

Brainy heard Nia's sigh from next to him and took her hand in his while J'onn talked about scouting for more Dominators across the city.

Nia looked at Brainy's hand and pulled hers away. One month after letting himself almost die and he thought everything was fine again.

Brainy tried not to show how hurt he was by this. He thought they had sorted things out, but he must have misjudged the situation. There was no point in trying to use his deductive reasoning to solve this. Nia had said it best: the heart isn't logical.

After another five minutes, Nia was over it. She stood up and walked out the door without a word to anyone.

"Nia?" called Kara, following her out into the hallway.

"What do you want now?" asked Nia. Kara always seemed to need to know what she was doing, all the time.

Kara took a step back, confused by the anger in Nia's voice.

"What do I want- I want to know what's wrong!" exclaimed Kara.

"What's wrong is that we're sitting here, discussing plans, while not even caring about the people who are getting hurt every second," snapped Nia.

"Whoa, Nia," said Kara, shocked by her words. "We are saving hundreds of lives every day, why do you think we're not doing anything?"

Nia felt the bottled anger clouding her thoughts in a haze of rage.

"You act like a leader, but the real truth is that you don't trust me after I almost killed that man who threatened me and my community. You keep us at these meetings, to discuss immediate threats, but what about the ones that have always been there that you ignore every day? You don't care about them and you clearly don't trust me. You always need to know where I am, what I'm doing, and I'm sick of it," Nia said, almost shouting by the end.

She turned away from Kara and walked out of the Tower, leaving Kara standing speechless in the hallway.

Kara returned to the rest of the team watching her in silence.

Brainy desperately wanted to ask what had happened, but after how Nia acted toward him, he thought maybe she wanted nothing to do with him and wouldn't appreciate him asking.

Finally Kelly asked what he was waiting to hear.

"What happened to Nia?"

Kara sighed and Brainy's heart tightened with worry.

"There's something wrong with her," she explained. "She's acting so angry and I don't even know how to fix it."

A thought suddenly occurred to Alex. This almost reminded her of...no, there was no way. Nia wouldn't have been affected and no one had seen red Kryptonite in years.

"What was in the lab that we protected today?" asked Alex.

Lena pulled up information on her screen and gasped. Nia's anger wasn't just from exhaustion or stress. If they couldn't fix this, there was no telling what she might do.