Death of Fury

Death is never an ending. It is a new beginning.

After the chaos of the day, Steve and I made our way back home. We reached our apartment, and Steve stopped before walking to our door. We were stopped by our neighbor, Kate, a nurse who has taken special attention to Steve.

"How are you two?" Kate asks us as she walks to her door holding a laundry basket.

Steve turns around and replies to her, "We are good. We had a very eventful day. How are you this evening, Kate?"

Kate shuffles around, "I am good. Did you know that you left your stereo on?"

Steve looked at Kate and then to me, "Oh, we did? We must have forgotten to turn it off before our run this morning. Have a good night, Kate."

Kate opens her apartment door, "You too. Goodnight." She closes her door slowly.

"Dad? What's going on?" I asked him very confusedly.

Steve turned around to me and put a finger to his lips. "Come with me this way. Stay quiet." Steve led me outside the apartment to one of the windows in our apartment. He went in first, and I followed quickly behind. I activated my bracelet shield, and Steve grabbed his shield. We walked into the living room together, and saw the person that we both never would have thought would have broken into our home. It was Nick Fury.

"Hey, my wife kicked me out of the house. I needed a place to stay." Fury said out loud, but his phone said something else. His phone said, "The apartment is bugged."

"Of course you can stay. Samantha, go get a blanket for our guest." Steve tells me. I knew that meant to stay alert and on guard. I started to walk towards my room to grab my suit, but then came the gunshots which made me drop to the ground. I got up and turned around to make sure Steve was okay, and I saw Fury on the ground.

"Steve! Samantha!" a voice screamed as our apartment door was busted in. Kate, our nurse neighbor, was standing there with a gun in her hands. She looked down, and saw Fury on the ground. "Are you okay?"

Steve stood up, and put something into his jacket pocket. "Why do you have a gun?"

"I am Agent 13. I work for S.H.I.E.L.D, and was assigned here to keep an eye on you two by Fury." Kate, who was now Agent 13 said to Steve.

"I am going after the gunman. Kate, or whatever your name is, call an ambulance. Get Fury to the hospital." Steve says before turning to me. "Stay here. Do not follow me." He ran after the gunman.

"You aren't going to listen, are you?" Agent 13 asked me as she dialed 911 on her phone.

I activated my shield bracelet, and ran after Steve, "Nope!" I yelled back to her. I ran through the halls chasing after Steve. When I finally caught up to him, he was on the roof along with the masked gunman. I watched as Steve threw his shield, and to our surprise, the gunman caught the shield with a robotic arm. He threw it back to Steve who stumbled backwards.

"Hey!" I yelled. "Stay where you are!" I went towards the gunman, but Steve pulled me back. I watched the masked gunman jump off the roof, and wondered how he could survive that jump.

"Sammi, we have to go. Fury needs us." He said before we headed back to our apartment. We got to the apartment, and nobody was there. Steve grabbed new clothes for me and him. "Hurry and change. We have to get to the hospital." We got changed, and were on the way to hospital within ten minutes.

We arrived at the hospital, and rushed in. When Steve was at the desk asking where Fury was, I saw Agent Maria Hill.

"Steve!" I yell causing him to turn around. "I see Maria. This way." I led Steve to where Maria was standing.

"Steve. Samantha." Maria said and I could tell she was upset.

"How is Fury?" I asked her, but she did not reply. I just stood there as her and Steve went into the room where they were working on Fury. I looked down at my watch and it read one o'clock in the morning. I stood there for what felt forever, but in all reality, it was only three minutes when Steve and Maria walked out in the hallway.

"Sammi, Fury is dead." Steve starts to tell me, but Agent Rumlow interrupts him.

"Captain, you and your daughter are needed for questioning back at the Triskelion. Let's go." Agent Rumlow tells us without any concern for Fury's death.

Steve looked down at me. "We will head that way. I don't want to leave the car here. Let's go, Samantha." He started walking down the hall and I quickly followed. I turned to see Maria one last time, but she had vanished back into the room.

"Dad? What's going on?" I asked Steve as we walked down the hall. Steve did not respond, but he stopped at a vending machine, and hid a USB which I assumed was the thing that Fury gave him earlier inside where no one could get it. We continued the rest of the walk and drove to the hearing in complete silence. I tried to read what Steve was feeling, but I couldn't separate his feelings from my own. I just felt numb and lost because without Fury, I would never have been saved from Loki or became an Avenger. I could feel my eyes starting to close from the stressful day I had just gone through.

"Sammi." Steve said as he shook me awake. "We are here. Come on." I forced myself to wake up, and exit the car. We went up to Nick Pierce's office, and Steve walked in first while I followed.

"Welcome!" Pierce said. "I'm sorry that it was my old friend Nick's death that caused us to finally meet. Now, I have to ask, do either of you know who killed Nick Fury?"

I stayed quiet, but I looked to Steve, who gave me a reassuring look.

"No we do not." Steve says as he stands up. "Fury told me before he died not to trust anyone, and I do not trust you. Let's go, Sammi." He walked out of the office and I was confused, but followed. We got to the elevator, but shortly joined with a bunch of STRIKE agents. I looked down at my bracelet. I couldn't even register what was happening before the fighting began. Steve knocked all of the agents out, and when the elevator stopped, we both jumped out.

"Dad, where are we going?" I asked as we raced towards a motorcycle.

Steve got on, and I sat behind him. "We are going to the hospital. We need to get the USB." I saw that our path was blocked, but Steve was able to get through all of the obstacles. We made it safely to the hospital, and instantly went to the vending machine where Steve hid the USB, but it was gone.

"Who could have taken it?" I say as Steve is scanning the area, and he sees someone slipping away.

"Let's go." He tells me. We follow the mystery person who turns out to be Natasha Romanoff. Steve pushes Natasha against the wall. "Where is the USB? Do you know who that guy in the mask is?"

Natasha pulled the USB out of her pocket. "Here. Also the guy is an assassin named the Winter Soldier. I met him once before." Steve takes the USB out of her hand and leaves. Natasha and I both followed him out the door.