Chapter 12: Stone

"Good afternoon Ashley. You look pretty today," June says when we both walk into the kitchen. I picked Ashley up from the airport yesterday. I honestly thought I was going to have to fly and get her. Her mother had been trying to come up with every excuse not to let her come.

"Thanks," Ashley says beaming from ear to ear. June and she stayed up all night talking and watching Disney Plus movies. June is so different with Ashley than she was with me. She even lets her call her grandma.

"So where are you two off to today?"

"Gabriel Stephens and his family are doing a small barbeque for his wife's brother. So they invited me to do security and also so Ashley can play with some kids her age while she is here." She nods as she sips her afternoon coffee.

"Ok. That sounds fun. Vilonia and I are going to the country club to play a little golf. I was hoping that Ashley and I could do something later. Maybe a movie at the theater and zoo tomorrow?"

"Yes! Please say yes daddy?" I laugh at her eagerness.

"Cool. No problem. I didn't have any set plans."

"Great. I will see you later." June walks out just as Holiday walks in.

"Daddy can we take Doc with us. I know she doesn't want to stay in this big house by herself." Last night I had to explain to Ashley about the new house that was given to me by my mother. She's never been here, and she had so many questions about the new house daddy lived in.

"I'm not sure about that. Some people may be scared of dogs, plus she won't be alone. We can take her to the park one day this week."

"Ok," Ashley says dropping to the floor to rub Doc's back as she eats her food.

🌸🌸🌸

Before heading to Gabe's I make a quick stop. Ashley and I are both standing at the door waiting for the door to be opened. It's about one and her car is parked in the driveway so I was hoping to surpriser her with a visit.

The door swings open and Daphany is standing there in some dirty jeans and a dirty t-shirt. I smile looking over her - even dirty she's still sexy. "Hey, I stopped by to see if you wanted to go to a barbeque with me and Ashley.

Daphne's eyes flick down to Ashley before snapping back to me. She opens her mouth then quickly shuts it. "Hey, Ashley. You can come in but your dad has to stay here." She motions for Ashley to come in and because my daughter is so friendly follows Daphany into the house. When I'm about to step in Daphany holds up her hand halting my forward motions and then closes the door in my face. I stand there dumbfounded, and not knowing what to do. There is some patio furniture sitting to the right of me so I plop down and wait. She won't leave me out here forever will she.

Yes, she will leave me out here for an hour and thirty minutes to be exact. When the door finally opens Daphany is dressed in a floor-length floral maxi dress. Her hair is pulled up into a puff at the top of her head. She's smiling at whatever Ashley just said, but when her eyes met mine she frowns. Ouch.

"You look pretty," I say hoping it will soften the angry vibes I'm getting from her.

"Thanks, but don't think you're off the hook. I'm mad at you."

"Why?" She rolls her eyes at the question. I know why she's upset with me. I keep stopping by forcing myself into her life.

"Who's barbeque is this?"

"A friend of mine."

"Is he ok with you bringing me?"

"Yeah, why you say that?"