Apple Blossom- Sprew

TW: cursing, angst, hospitalization, bullying

We were at our usual spot, a bench under the apple tree. We would usually just chat about mysteries, drama, & weird facts (well Brew would tell the weird facts). I was so happy having someone to talk to. However they weren't enough anymore. My works were getting so much praise, as a consequence people started attacking me.

"You shouldn't listen to them. It may be hard but you should keep on moving forward & reach your goals." I was annoyed by those words. He always said it over & over again, but nothing ever changes. I still hear their voices no matter what.

"She's stupid."

"Her work isn't worth anything."

"Can't she just act like a normal girl."

They won't stop; they'll hurt no matter what I do. Meanwhile you act like you're so smart & know everything. You don't understand a thing about this. You don't know my pain & suffering. All you care about is looking smart, mature, & better than everyone else. What a fucking joke. You're just like everyone else; toxic selfish pieces of shit.

"Spill..." That's when I realized I said that all out loud. Why should I care anyways. This whole school is just jealous of me, trying to hurt me until I break, but I won't let them win. I'll show them all how pathetic they are.

"Don't talk to me ever again!"

"Spill-"

"I said don't talk to me ever again you egotist." I felt so powerful. No regrets. I was going to show them all how pitiful they were.

"I'm sorry Spill. I couldn't help you. What kind of friend am I?"

"Hey do-"

"Shut up." I strutted right past them. They were a waste of time. They all are a waste of time; even space.

"Hey that's-"

"What's up-"

"Did you-"

"Hey Spill," Brew's voice... I stopped dead in my tracks. I looked back & saw Drew, Brew's twin. "That's your name right? Your Brew's best friend?" Why am I even listening to him right now? He doesn't matter.

"Yes." Why did I say that? I'm wasting time here.

"Well something happened..."

"Another coffee coma," I rolled my eyes.

"No, t-there was..." What?

Brew had been in an accident, it happened a few weeks ago. They found him lying on a beach, nearly dead. How did it happen? Why did it happen? Who hurt my best friend? So many questions went through my mind.

But why am I feeling this way. Why am I calling him my best friend again? I said I hated him. He was like everyone else, toxic to my well being. But, was he. Maybe even though he couldn't understand what I was going through, he still tried his best to help me. And I still pushed him away. I hurt him even though I... loved him. I love Brew. That's so funny. Because of my stupid paranoia I pushed him away. Should I even go visit him after all I've done? Would he even want to see me? Even so I have to make it right. First I need to apologize.

"Here's his room," the nurse said & walked away. I tried to open the door but I hesitated.

"Do it now or you'll regret it later." I slowly opened the door.

"Spill... is that you?" He spoke so weakly, all bandaged up with casts on his right arm & left leg.

"Brew..." I couldn't help but cry, "I'm so sorry I pushed you away. All you did was try to help me the best you could. If only I didn't let them get to me I could have been here for you sooner & we would still be friends-" He held my hand & smiled. I've missed the cute smile of his for a long time.

"It's okay Spill. I'm just glad you're here. Thank you."

"So, wanna check up, old friend." You're still a fossil like always.

"Yeah."

You were there for me. I'll be there for you. I love you.