Chapter 22 - Oliver

Hey guys. The picture is the closest thing I could find for Iris' wedding dress. Hope you enjoy the chapter!

My wedding day. I should be excited. But all I feel is woe. Unimaginable woe. I loved Evangeline. I was perfect for her, I know I was. But she pushed me away, and now I am marrying some Cygnet princess. 

I should probably be grateful. This boosts my status by a lot. But I know the real reason I was chosen. I am the second-in-command of the rebellion, and now, the first-in-command, Anabel Lerolan distrusts me. 

"Come on! You're getting married, to a princess, no less! Look alive!" My servant swats at me. "Get off your sorry ass and let me do your hair!" I complied.

In some ways, I was glad of Maven's "let the servants talk" policy, since their endless chatter filled up the normally awkward spaces when they were doing their work. But at the same time, their incessant prodding quickly became annoying.

"The king requests your prescence." Another servant came in to escort me to Maven. We walk in silence, since this servant must be older, and doesn't speak as much. We finally arrive at Maven's room, and the servant leaves.

"Ah, Oliver. You're ready?" Maven asks, lounging on a sofa. I nod curtly. "Good. Let's go."

Maven and I walk to the altar, and begin the long wait for the bride. I'm not sure what to do, since every book I've read with weddings in them are in the bride's point of view. What does the groom do? Maven seems sure enough, so I just follow his lead of standing there and surveying the crowd.

And what a crowd! The entire Silver Court is there, as well as some wealthy Reds who managed to get in. Cameras are positioned every two meters or so, waiting for the bride. Suddenly, trumpets blared and the priest said in a monotone voice, 

"I now present Iris Cygnet, Princess of the Lakelands." The crowd cheered. Evangeline and Elane stepped onto the aisle first, making my heart jump. Evangeline scattered small metal disks, and Elane focused beams of light onto the disks, making it look like the whole aisle was glowing. 

Then Iris herself stepped forward, and I barely manage to stifle a gasp. She looks radiant in her flowing blue dress, tattoos barely visible on her shoulders. Mare walks a step behind Iris, but I barely notice her, so entranced am I by Iris.

Iris and her procession finally step onto the altar, and the priest begins.

"Do you, Oliver Laris, agree to be Iris Cygnet's lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you apart?" The priest asks.

"I do," I say, finding it isn't as forced as I thought it might be.

"Do you, Iris Cygnet, agree to be Oliver Laris' lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you apart?" The priest asks.

"I do," Iris says. God, even her voice sounds good; melodic and smooth.

"I now declare you husband and wife." We grasp each others forearms, and let water and wind mix above our intertwined fingers. "You may kiss the bride." I lean forward and gently press my lips to hers.

It's a small kiss, but it sends sparks up my spine nonetheless. The rest of the wedding passes in a blur of fake congratulations, and I find myself alone with Iris in our new room. She's sitting serenly on the couch, studying the surroundings. I want to kiss the living daylights out of her, but I restrain myself, since I'm still conflicted about Evangeline.

"Where should we sleep?" She asks politely.

"Oh. I suppose I can sleep in the spare room for now." I answer, pretty sure I wouldn't be able to handle sleeping with her. Iris nods in agreement, and just like that, our marriage has begun.