P2: Confrontations

"Bahu-"

"Pavi!-"

My mother in law and my husband were taken aback with my words.

"Pavi, she is family and she has traveled a long way to meet us-"

Ma ji looked at me with concern.

"Bahu, let us talk inside the house dear-"

My mother stood in silence as my husband and my mother in law urged me to invite her inside. Guilt and repentance of her words spread through her face.

At the same time, the heart-breaking flashback of my childhood, just swept in front of my eyes. The irony was my heart did not allow me to dwell on the personal pain for long. I had to let the water under the bridge, at least on the peripheral level, because I wanted to be better, if not for me, at least for my son. 

I slowly made way for my mother to enter our hall. My mother's eyes timidly skimmed through the room and she looked at our family photos. A sharp pain visibly danced in her eyes for I could see that she craved to be a part of all these things. 

Dev cooed to break the awkward silence. All of us looked at him. Raj ji slowly patted him to calm him down. 

Ma ji slowly walked into our kitchen to fetch my mother a glass of water. 

"Pavithra-", breathed my mother. 

"How are you beta?" 

I nodded sharply.

More sadness clobbered her. She knew that I was beyond hurt.

"Pavithra, I owe you an apology and explanation."

"Ma, I am running late to college, so is Raj ji-"

But I didn't dare finish the sentance in saying something rude as my mother-in-law entered the hall back with tall glasses of water.

Dev felt so strange with all the attention not on him for the first time. And Raj ji balanced his glance on both his wife and son.

"Ma ji, please have some water", he insisted to my mother.

Another slow five minutes passed in silence, but this time, Ma sniffed all along.

Why?

"Ma, is everything okay?"

"I do owe you an apology and an explanation, Pavithra. Aren't you even a little bit curious about it?"

I looked sharply at her and spoke the words that was certainly an involuntary action. 

"Ma, seriously you are asking me this? After all this time? After treating me as an entity of marriage and nothing more! Did you just forget what you told to Raj ji and Ma ji on the day of my marriage? Did you not wonder these past few months how I was doing? 

I was just a small child Ma, a little girl who knew nothing about herself, leave alone about marriage!  I was sent with nothing but bitterness in my heart! But thank goodness, Raj ji, Ma and Babaji take care of me as their own family member!

Ma where was your concern when I was pregnant? Did you know how many of our relatives and neighbours asked Ma ji why I am not in my mother's place for my pregnancy! Of course, people understand if I don't go for other festivals! You didn't even call to know whether you had a grandson or granddaughter! 

Did you know I am now a medical student and my husband is a successful businessman along with pursuing his education to become even more successful in that stream? Did you know Ma ji took me to every appointment when I was pregnant? Did you know, I had a C-section? My husband, who knows me just for over an year knows what I want and what my dreams are... Di-"

"Pavi, calm down!", rushed urgently Raj ji to my side. 

I realised that I was ranting my heart out, but I could not help. Dev wriggled uncomfortably in Raj ji's arms; he has never heard his mother speak this way! 

My mother in law's eyes poured with concern and knew things were getting out of hands. The tension brought tears in my eyes as I sat there like a helpless child and weep publicly.

Ma ji immediately took Dev from my husband's hands as he almost sprinted by my side to calm me down. He knew this was a much needed meltdown.

"Gowri ji!", my mother-in-law called out to my mother.

Uncomfortably, my mother turned and looked at Ma ji.

"Please understand that the value of your daughter in our home is beyond imagination. She has been a sister to Rekha, a daughter to my husband and me and more than just a wife to my son. She is the best mother Dev could ever get.

So, you really cannot barge into our home and talk uncomfortable things with her and treat her this way. We will not tolerate it.

We have been more than nice to you since the day we agreed to this alliance. We have tucked in all the injustices you have inflicted. But this, treating Pavithra this way, in front of us; this is where I put a foot down.

I think Pavithra also agrees with me that she is not interested in your apologies and explanations. Here, she has a happy life and a fulfilled family. She is content.

But please, if you have anything specific to talk to us or ask or request us, in other words, if you can let us know the purpose of your travel to your daughter's place, we'd still try to help you out."

In the most firmest and yet elegant way, Ma ji had spoken all of our unspoken words.

My mother timidly looked at all of us.

A painful and uncontrollable tear slipped out of her eyes.

"Pavithra, as usual your father fell drunk on the road the other day and met with a major accident."

***
A/N:

Hello 50k+ readers, I simply love you all. Your support has been overwhelming! Thank you so much for giving this book a shot. I promise to be more regular with the updates.

Happy reading and thanks for all your patience!

Love,
Rashmi 💚