Prompt 60 || Picture Prompt

Hello everyone and welcome to our brand new prompt! This week, we'll be featuring a picture prompt. Remember that you're free to interpret the prompt in any manner you see fit, be it literal or figurative. However, there should be a clear link between your entry and the prompt provided. For more information, check out our guidelines below!

 For more information, check out our guidelines below!

WINNERS:

Please note that winners are not listed in any specific order. To read the rest of the amazing entries, check them out in the comments section below!

WINNER I: GlennKoerner

My mom shut off the light and closed the door to my room. With darkness dominant, the shadows began to claw their way up the walls as they pulled themselves out of the darkness of the floor to stand upright. Even though they had no visible features, I could feel them staring when their transparent shapes turned in my direction. A pitiful defense, I drew the covers up, hiding everything below my eyes.

There were three shadows standing at the end of my bed. The one on the far left was wider and would've had more bulk if it had actually possessed any kind of physical substance. The center specter was broad shouldered, and the far right figure was the most slender, leaning back against the wall of my room in a casual and relaxed manner. The center shadow stepped forward, coming closer in absolute silence and causing me to begin shaking uncontrollably. The shadow paused, and I might've thought it was considering my reaction if I hadn't been too terrified at the moment to think about it. Taking a step away, the shadow motioned with its hand of concentrated darkness, pointing me toward a spot on the wall.

I decided to move when the shadow leaning against the wall abruptly straightened and took a step in my direction. Sliding out from under the covers, I approached the wall and examined the indicated place but found nothing. I looked to the shadow, and it moved its hand as if pressing on the wall with a palm. Mimicking its actions, I released a hidden plate and found a secret compartment behind it. Pulling free a leather bound book, it creaked as I opened it. Half expecting to find some kind of magic rituals written in blood, I was relieved to find the book was a photo album of a family.

The house in the pictures was familiar. It was mine. The shadows matched the shape and number of the family. I looked to them, wondering what they wanted from me; they bid me to follow them, so I did.

WINNER II: IceAngel17892

I tried to sleep that night. Honest, I did. But the Council had different plans.

I could feel their presence. Stubbornly, I squeezed my eyes tighter shut. When I could finally ignore them no longer, I sat up, throwing my covers off to stare down the shadowy forms. The Council can't appear in this plane of existence with their true forms, so they stick with the shadows.

"Jesus H. Christ, guys. Can't a girl get some sleep around here?" The Council remained stoic.

"We have a mission for you." I fell back against my headboard, groaning.

"Seriously? Another one? I've been on, like, fifty missions in the last two months!"

"Fifty-three," chimed a member of the Council that I couldn't determine.

"We require your unique expertise, Agent." I rolled my eyes.

"You're lucky that I love this job." I hopped out of bed, shucking off my sleep clothes and pulling on my uniform. "What is it this time? Ectoplasmic residue that causes insanity in everyone who touches it? A cross between a werewolf and a vampire? Another immortal being having an existential crisis?" I paused, considering. "I've talked down a lot of immortal beings with existential crises, lately. Maybe I should go back to working on my psychology degree."

"It is time you took on an apprentice." The statement drew me up short.

"A what now?"

"An apprentice." I started to shake my head almost immediately.

"No, no no. No way."

"It will be a good experience for you, and perhaps this way you'll be able to relax more often. Isn't that what you wanted?"

"Not if it means some random kid's gonna be taking my place! I've nearly died hundreds of times on these missions, I can't in good conscience let a child take over!"

"We trust your skills will be more than sufficient to train whoever you choose." I glowered for a moment, though the effect was slightly diminished by the fact that I could still see my bedroom walls through the Council members.

"Fine. When do I start?"  

Thank you both for still writing here!