Chapter 7

"Please, let us help. We truly want to stop this." The woman sighed.

"Fine." I grumbled. "Watch the kid." I mumbled to Alex, who nodded.

I limped as I followed the woman as she walked to a separate room, inside being a cot, and a few cabinets of different pills and such.

She lead me to the cot. "Please remove your shirt and lay on the cot. Well have to give you quite a large dose of painkillers in order to proceed."

"No, that's fine. Just get the damned thing out and wrap me up. I'm not taking any painkillers." I said as I tugged off my shirt, laying down.

"Are you sure? The painkillers will make this a lot more bearable."

"Yes. Just hurry up." She nodded and quickly washed her hands, putting gloves on.

"This is going to hurt." She smiled before she pushed down on my side forcefully, sticking her finger into the bullet hole.

"Fuck!"

"I told you the painkillers would make it more bearable." she shook her head, humming as she hooked her finger, pulling out the bullet. "There you go!"

She cleaned up the blood, pressing a cloth to my side.

"You bitch!"

"Will you watch you mouth? There are children outside." She rolled her eyes, cleaning the wound carefully before she used medical tape to tape the gauze and bandages. "All done. Would you like some painkillers now?"

"No." I huffed, sitting up and tugging my shirt back on. "That couldn't have been a professional way of doing this."

"It probably wasn't. To be fair, I had no idea what I was doing." She smiled, tugging off her gloves.

"That's comforting." I walked back into the other room, her following quickly.

"You should be resting."

"I'll be fine. Thank you." I waved her off.

"Are you feeling better, Briar?" Melanie asked as I sat next to her.

"No. Crazy bi-"

"Briar!" Alex shoved me, eyes wide. "Please, control your language in front of children!" He gestured to the small group of 4 other kids who, for some reason, decided to gather in front of us.

"Whatever." I crossed my arms.

"E-e-excu-use mmm-me?" One of them spoke up as the others nudged her forward.

"What?"

"Can- can you tell us a-a-a s-sss-"

"You'll have to excuse her. She has a stutter." The man interrupted, nodded to her. He shoo'd her away. She looked away with a frown.

"That's fine. What were you saying, kid?" I looked at her, but she just shook her head. "It's okay. Just try again."

"S-s...." She huffed, crossing her arms. The other kids laughed and snickered behind her. Tears pricked her eyes as she whimpered.

"Hey, hey, hey. Why are you crying? You're doing great." I nodded. "One more time."

"St-stor-y." She whispered.

"There it is." I smiled. "Sorry, kid. I'm no good at stories. But keep working on that, okay?"

She nodded, her and the group walked off.

"Wow, she goes through all of that, just for you to tell her you're not good at stories?" Alex glared.

"I'm not!"