Chapter 4

It took some time before I could fall asleep, though once I did, it was comfortable.

I groaned as I attempted to stretch as I woke up, though I couldn't as my arms were constricted. I opened my eyes, yelping as I sat up. Melanie woke up with a start, sitting up as well.

"What?" She asked tiredly.

"Why are you in my bed?" I asked, calming from my initial panic.

"It was cold last night and I thought it'd be best to stay warm if we all slept in the same bed. I don't know if you noticed, but the blankets are thin." A voice said behind me. I looked to see Alex's bundled in multiple blankets, eyes still closed. I groaned, rubbing my eyes.

"Right. Whatever." I said as I got out of bed. I heard light clawing, looking over to see the raccoon jumping back into the house. I looked back at Melanie, who stood in the door way.

"Did you open the window for it last night?"

"This was his house first!" She argued, walking to the kitchen and sitting at the table. I sighed.

"Of course, it was." I sighed and looked through multiple cabinets, finding a few bottles of water and some snacks. I handed Melanie a bottle and a bag of cheez its.

"Alex, get up, we don't have all day!" I yelled. I heard his groan and then a thud. He came out of the room, rubbing his eyes and yawning.

"I couldn't sleep last night. I should've taken your offer of getting tucked in." He mumbled, sitting next to Melanie.

"It wasn't an offer."

"Briar, what are we doing today?" Melanie asked, arms stretched out on the table, tapping randomly.

"Walking." I gave Alex's a water bottle and bag of cheez it's.

"Never been a fan of cheez its. Can I get something else?" He asked.

"Either that or what I think used to be bread. We can't eat the snacks we took from the store yet. Those are for when we're walking." alex groaned and reluctantly ate them.

"Alright, get ready to leave." I said, opening my own bag. I ate a few, walking post the room with the raccoon. It was eating a few random sticks and pieces of paper.

I carefully walked to it, it freezing in its spot, ears searching for the sound source. I slowly kneeled down, pushing the snack towards it.

It still didn't move, so I grabbed one and carefully put it in its hand.

It sniffed at it , before quickly eating it. It chittered, feeling around for more. I pushed the bag closer to it, and it quickly dug in.

"Why do you get to pet him, but I cant?" Melanie asked. I looked back at her, standing up.

"I'm not petting it." I said, walking out. "Just giving it a snack."

"I wanna feed it!"

"No. Eat your food."

"Why?" I sighed as I picked her up, tossing her on the couch. "Again!" She giggled.

"Eat your food. I don't want you complaining about being hungry in 5 minutes." I rolled my eyes. She nodded and continued to eat them. I walked around the cabin, looking through drawers and closets.

I found a few coats, grabbing one for each of us. I put them on the counter. I sighed, jumping as Melanie screamed.

I ran looking for her, finding her in the room with the raccoon. The raccoon was hissing loudly and running around as she stood on the bed.

"Briar, help me!" She cried.

"Oh, for the sake of fuck." I groaned, grabbing a plastic bucket that was laid discarded to the side. I stepped forward it freezing in its spot and hissing.

I quickly put the bucket over it, it freaking out and clawing at it. Melanie whimpered and ran out of the room. I waited until the raccoon calmed down, it eventually tiring itself out to just sitting there. I carefully moved the bucket, the raccoon waddling away.

"Melanie!"