𝟬𝟬𝟰. GLAD YOU'RE OKAY, 𝗆𝗂𝗍𝖼𝗁

𝐆𝐋𝐀𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔'𝐑𝐄 𝐎𝐊𝐀𝐘, 𝗆𝗂𝗍𝖼𝗁( 𝗌𝖼𝖺𝗋𝗒 𝗅𝗈𝗏𝖾 — 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘥 )tw: mentions of weapons, blood, injuries

( 𝗌𝖼𝖺𝗋𝗒 𝗅𝗈𝗏𝖾 — 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘥 )
tw: mentions of weapons, blood, injuries

𝐆𝐋𝐀𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔'𝐑𝐄 𝐎𝐊𝐀𝐘, 𝗆𝗂𝗍𝖼𝗁( 𝗌𝖼𝖺𝗋𝗒 𝗅𝗈𝗏𝖾 — 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘥 )tw: mentions of weapons, blood, injuries

You released an exasperated sigh as you examined your swollen face in the bathroom mirror. The bright red cuts and distinct purple bruises lining your face were begging for your attention — a particularly nasty cut above your eyebrow screaming louder than the rest of your wounds. After getting some soap on your hand, you cleaned the cut under warm water, wincing reflexively.

Things were tense between you and Mitch at the moment, seeing as your recent mission didn't go according to plan.

Being Mitch's partner for so long, you had grown used to his improvisations and impulsivity — it was just part of who he was. He'd become irritable and his palms would grow itchy if he didn't follow his gut, so you went with the flow while also restraining him as best as you could. It's what made you an effective pair. But things were different this time.

Stan had painfully precise instructions to maintain your cover no matter what. Usually you were both able to get away with slightly veering off course if it meant he obtained valuable information, but there was no pushing it on this one. Mitch was supposed to sneak into the CEO's office and gather files off of her computer while you served as a distraction; nothing more, nothing less. Of course, he never got to the office.

Somehow, she had found out what you were up to and as Mitch was sneaking past you both, he paused abruptly upon seeing a gun held up to your head. In a split second decision, he charged at the lady, earning a shot to the shoulder. The rest seemed to escalate from there.

Needless to say, you were both repositioned to "back-up" despite incessant reassurance that it wouldn't happen again. So Stan stuck you in a dingy hotel room for the time being.

"Do you need any help with that?" Your eyes flew open and you turned your head to see Mitch approaching the bathroom. After adjusting the sleeves to cover the gauze on his left shoulder, his right side leaned against the doorway as he watched you assess your wounds.

"It's just a cut, I think I'll be fine." You retorted while lightly applying antiseptic to the area in question before prepping a small gauze pad.

"You sure? It looks like you've been bleeding a lot." Mitch knew you were perfectly fine. You were able to take care of him and yourself as if they were everyday scratches and paper cuts. He just wanted an excuse to check on you.

"You do realize how weird it is that you're worried about a cut on my forehead when you had a bullet lodged in your shoulder not even an hour ago, right?

He scoffed and subconsciously reached to brush over the gauze you'd secured on his arm earlier. After waiting a beat, he walked over the wall across from the bathroom door and slid down to sit on the floor with a soft grunt. "Yeah, well," he started quietly, "it was to make sure the bullet didn't hit you. Or do you not remember having a gun pointed to your head?" The question shocked you and you turned to glare at him.

"I had it covered, Mitch—"

"It didn't look like it. I thought you were gonna—I couldn't just stand there and let you—"

Your shoulders sagged defeatedly as you watched him drag a heavy hand down his face. You made your way over to the wall and let yourself slump down quietly beside him while he gathered his thoughts.

It felt like heavyweight chains were relentlessly wrapping themselves across his chest until he could barely even breathe. He tried his best to navigate through the fog in his mind, but ultimately failed. You left Mitch Rapp feeling disoriented and he wasn't sure what it meant. Or he didn't want to come to terms with it.

Barbed wire tightly encompassed his heart like a prisoner for so many years that he'd just grown used to the lack of affection. Yet, you managed to get through unscathed and slowly mended the broken pieces, all without even trying. It was nauseating, really — to care for someone and to feel like putty in their hands after a long period of emotional isolation.

"I'm just glad you're okay." He finally blurted out. You turned to him, completely taken aback at the soft expression on his face.

"I'm glad you're okay, too." You responded gently before letting your head rest on his uninjured shoulder. Your fingers nervously fumbled with one another before you let them intertwine. He softly drew circles with his thumb on the back of your hand as a silent show of appreciation. Truthfully, both your hands were quite clammy, but neither of you pulled away.

He moved slightly to look down at you which had caused you to look up at him. His eyes glistened with adoration and nervousness once he realized how close you were. The scent of your steadily fading perfume invaded his senses and the feeling of your breath mingling with his own sent his mind into a frenzy.

His heart was erratically pounding against his ribs and he was sure you could hear it due to the close proximity. But your heart was beating as quickly and loudly as his. You could feel a wildfire burn painfully within the depths of your chest, causing heat to rise up your neck to your face.

He slowly inched closer until you could feel his soft lips brush against your own. It was a feather-light touch, but it still sent goosebumps down his arms and released a kaleidoscope of butterflies fluttering in your stomach.

Then suddenly, the blaring tone of Mitch's cell.

AUTHOR'S  NOTE *·˚ ༘

AUTHOR'S  NOTE *·˚

𝗅𝖺𝗍𝖾 𝗇𝗂𝗀𝗁𝗍 𝗉𝗈𝗌𝗍, 𝖻𝗎𝗍 𝖿𝗎𝗇𝗇𝗒 𝗌𝗍𝗈𝗋𝗒! 𝗂 𝗐𝖺𝗌 𝗆𝖾𝖺𝗇𝗍 𝗍𝗈 𝗉𝗈𝗌𝗍 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝟤 𝗐𝖾𝖾𝗄𝖾𝗇𝖽𝗌 𝖺𝗀𝗈, 𝖻𝗎𝗍 𝗂 𝖽𝖾𝗌𝗉𝗂𝗌𝖾𝖽 𝗂𝗍. 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗍 𝖻𝖾𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗌𝖺𝗂𝖽, 𝗂 𝗋𝖾𝗐𝗋𝗈𝗍𝖾 𝗂𝗍 𝗆𝖺𝗇𝗒 𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝗍𝗂𝗆𝖾𝗌, 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗇𝗈𝗐 𝗐𝖾'𝗋𝖾 𝗁𝖾𝗋𝖾! 𝗂𝖽𝗄 𝗂𝖿 𝗂 𝗅𝗂𝗄𝖾 𝗂𝗍, 𝗂 𝗃𝗎𝗌𝗍 𝗋𝖾𝖺𝗅𝗅𝗒 𝗐𝖺𝗇𝗍𝖾𝖽 𝗂𝗍 𝗈𝗎𝗍 𝗈𝖿 𝗆𝗒 𝖽𝗋𝖺𝖿𝗍𝗌 <𝟥

( 𝖾𝖽𝗂𝗍 : 𝗂 𝗐𝖺𝗇𝗍 𝗍𝗈 𝗋𝖾𝗐𝗋𝗂𝗍𝖾 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖾𝗇𝖽𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗌𝗈 𝖻𝖺𝖽𝗅𝗒 𝖻𝗎𝗍 𝗂 𝗅𝗂𝗍𝖾𝗋𝖺𝗅𝗅𝗒 𝖽𝗈𝗇'𝗍 𝗄𝗇𝗈𝗐 𝗁𝗈𝗐 𝖾𝗅𝗌𝖾 𝗍𝗈 𝖾𝗇𝖽 𝗂𝗍 𝗌𝗈 𝗌𝗈𝗋𝗋𝗒 𝖿𝗈𝗋 𝗍𝖾𝖺𝗌𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝗀𝗎𝗒𝗌 𝖫𝖬𝖠𝖮 )