twenty

ana

ana

When we found Walker in a warehouse he was huddled behind the shield. We'd heard him shouting, most likely to himself. I almost felt sorry for him, he had just lost his friend and made a terrible mistake which would have dire consequences. Well, he did kill someone so maybe it was more than just a mistake.

It was murder, really. I would know.

But seeing him hiding behind the shield, he didn't want to let go of it. It was tethering him at the moment. It felt nearly wrong to have to take it from him, but it had to be done.

He knew we were here, there was no way he didn't. He slowly stood up, cracked his neck and looked to us. He was fairly angry to say the least.

"Time to go to work." I heard him say, too quiet for it to be directed at us.

"Walker..." Sam trailed off as we all walked towards each other. The tension in the air was thick, it was making my stomach twist. I had never felt like this before, but maybe it's because I almost understood how Walker felt at this moment. What I had done after our last fight against Thanos, with two of my friends dead and another gone to live his life in a different timeline... it wasn't pretty. It was the reason I ended up being forced to see Raynor, or rather it was the last straw on an already heavy load.

"You guys should see a medic, you don't look so good." Walker stated, maybe trying to intimidate us. He should know by now it doesn't work with me, or the other two. Walker went to leave.

"Stop, Walker." Sam's voice held a warning in the tone. Walker turned to look back at us.

"What? You saw what happened. You know what I had to do. I killed him because I had to! He killed Lemar!" Walker shouted, I slowly moved around to Walker's left. If we circled him just slightly then there would be less chance he could escape.

"He didn't kill Lemar, John." James spoke, his voice was strangely gentle. "Don't go down that road. Believe me, it doesn't end well." My eyes shot to James as he spoke.

"Grief can make you do things you wouldn't normally do." I added, looking back to Walker.

"I'm not like you." He seemed to think that was the best response, so I took a step towards him.

"Really?" I asked, but before I could start arguing with Walker once more Sam cut in.

"Listen, it was the heat of the battle. Okay? If you explain what happened, they may consider your record." I watched as Walker closed his eyes. The serum had affected his brain, like it did with everyone, but he was still adjusting to that change. "We don't want anyone else to get hurt." Sam added, which was true. The main reason we had come after him, aside from getting the shield, was to prevent him from killing anyone else. Walker stared at the floor, seeming to be processing everything. "John... You gotta give me the shield, man." Walker had never scared me before, but the way he slowly looked up from the ground to look dead into Sam's eyes worried me.