30.

Annika had never run this fast. Not even when she had to catch local trains. Not even when she was chasing that weird woman in Goa.

She just made a blind dash to the terrace like a woman possessed. When she pushed the large door of the terrace open, she was greeted with darkness.

Beside her, she saw Rudra and Om take out their mobiles and switch on the torch while Bhavya tried to locate the switchboard while yelling at the security guards.

"Bhaiya?" Rudra screamed as he headlessly ran here and there. "Bhaiya! Are you there?"

"Shivaay!" Om began to look behind the long planters. "Shivaay?"

Annika was so overwhelmed with everything that her legs refused to move now. She just stood in the centre, looking around the large place. Most of it was open. There was a tank in the corner, a few building materials; but due to darkness, Annika couldn't make out everything.

Fortunately for her, the light came on. After a few seconds, Bhavya rushed back to the terrace. And even she began to call out Shivaay's name.

"What's happening?" Tej rushed in.

Annika didn't answer. She watched the three of them run along with the guard and the police officers but her attention remained on Veer's words. Veer had said that he had thrown Shivaay down. If he had thrown Shivaay down from the top, Shivaay would obviously fall on the ground. People would have known. Annika took a steadying breath. No. That definitely had not happened.

She somehow gathered courage and moved towards the place where the materials were lying. A security guard also followed her and began to look through everything. There were painting materials, cement and a few tools. Nothing suspicious or anything that could hide an entire human. Just when the guard began to climb the water tank to inspect it, Annika spotted a door. Due to the darkness, she couldn't make out what it was.

"Suno," she called out to the guard. "What is that? That door?"

The guard replied, "That's the private life shaft for one of the apartments. They don't need it so they are closing it."

Annika processed his words. Then Veer's words. And then yelled, "Guys! Come here!"

Toppling the materials and paint cans in her way, she made her way to the door. She peeked inside and could see that it was indeed a pit. Could Veer have thrown Shivaay here? Her heart came to her mouth as she screamed, "Shivaay? Are you there?"

Everyone else was by her side in a few seconds. Someone flashed a light inside and they all could see a human figure in pale blue clothes lying there. She couldn't see the face clearly but it was definitely Shivaay.

A scream tore out of Annika's throat. "He is in there! Shivaay is in there!"

She turned around and latched onto Om. "Om! He is in there. Get him out...get him out!"

Om held her in place. "Yes, wait. I will do something."

When they looked back, Rudra had already jumped in the shaft along with an officer. Thankfully, the shaft didn't look that deep. Someone else put the ladder in. Bhavya called the paramedics up. The air around Annika suddenly charged up as she looked on anxiously.

"Blanket!" Rudra yelled from inside. "Throw a blanket!"

Annika didn't know how but Tej sourced a blanket in a matter of a few seconds. Om held her tightly as she bent in far too much and asked, "Ru...is he okay?"

"Yes..." Rudra's voice was muffled and clearly unsure.

Annika's heart sank. She stood at the very edge and now could see that Rudra was trying to climb the ladder. He had his one arm firmly around a figure wrapped in the dark blanket. She felt fainter. That figure didn't look bigger than a teenager. Yes, Rudra was strong. But still. Shivaay was never that slight.