21.

The car ride back to the Hospital was riddled with silence. Both Om and Rudra were thinking of different yet similar things. Their lives were entangled in a web of lies, deceit and no one knew the way out. For both of them, all the problems in their lives were mostly taken care of by Shivaay. Especially for Rudra, this was a novel situation. It felt like being on a captainless ship. He couldn't even seek Annika's help.

But they also knew that they had to hang in there and fight it out for the sake of their brother and the rest of the family.

"I miss us..." said Rudra.

Om looked at him. "Huh? You said something?"

Rudra's eyes stung with tears. "I said that I miss us."

Om's heart sank. He exactly knew what Rudra meant. With a faraway look in his eyes, he nodded. "Me too."

Rudra flashed a bitter smile. "We weren't perfect before. But at least we weren't fighting movie like villains. The only thing that worried me about Bhaiya was his massive ego."

Om laughed. "Gosh. I thought you were going to say his massive caffeine intake but this also works."

With a smile, Rudra rested his head on the headrest. "I want to go back to those days."

Keeping his eyes on the road, Om said, "We will once all this is over. And it's not a promise or a prediction or a wish. It is a fact that I am telling you right now."

Rudra looked at him. "I hope so."

Patting his hand, Om turned his head towards the road again. "By the way, I don't think Swetlana will live for long now. What are you guys planning to do with her once she takes off to hell?"

Not quite believing that they were talking about Swetlana's end like that, Rudra shrugged. "Drug overdose."

"Oh!" Om looked impressed.

"Yeah," Rudra smiled. Bhavya was really something. "Bhavya already has the autopsy report ready. We just have to fill in the date and time of death. She figured that a woman like Swetlana in Goa had to have a death like this. I am just sad that she didn't open her mouth till the end."

"Well," Om pulled the car into the Hospital's parking lot. "At least we are getting to see her die. Feels like free therapy."

"That is true!" Rudra grinned. "Chalo, let's chill with the brother now. I hope he has not slept yet."

"Swear dude..." Om sighed as he flashed their visitor cards in front of the scanner. "I really want to sit with you both today and relax a little."

With a hopeful heart, both of them headed towards Shivaay's room. Rudra pushed the door and walked in quietly. Thinking that Shivaay and Annika both had slept off, Om switched on the small footlight. When he did, his heart stopped beating.

While Anika was curled on the couch, sleeping soundly; the bed was empty. Om's lips quivered as he whispered, "Shivaay?"

Rudra slapped his hand on the switchboard and switched on all the lights. Bewildered, he stood at the foot of Shivaay's bed. Both Om and Rudra went blank for a few seconds. Something occurred to Om and he rushed to check the washroom. It was empty too. Where had Shivaay gone?

Without thinking much, Rudra rushed towards Anika and shook her hard. She stirred instantly. Rubbing her eye, she groaned, "Yeah Rudy? What happened?"

"Where is Bhaiya?" Rudra all but yelled.

"Huh?" Anika sat up at once. "What?"

Instantly awake, she looked at the bed. It was empty. Her stomach dropped. Her hands went cold. "Where is Shivaay?"

"That's what I am asking too Bhabhi! Where did he go?" Om went into full panic mode.

Anika fumbled with her words. She was feeling a little tired and they both had decided to sleep early. She had fallen asleep. The next thing she knew was Rudra waking her up. She had no idea what had happened.

"I don't know..." she walked towards Om. "I don't know...he is here Om. He was here when I slept!"

"So where did he go now?" Rudra cried out of fear and frustration.

"I don't know. Maybe he is in the garden? Let me check..." Anika made a dash towards the door.

"Guys," Om's voice stopped her. "What if Veer had come here again?"

************************

Last update before I take a break. (I need after dealing with a few idiots here. TOO TOXIC. Aren't we all here just to write and read and enjoy?)

Happy days! :)