Chapter Four Wendigo

Chapter Four, Wendigo

Dean was humming along to himself to the song currently playing on the radio; he was bored. He had been playing I spy with Amélie, but she had fallen asleep a little while ago as it was time for her afternoon nap, and Sam was also asleep. He hadn't slept well last night nor the last few weeks, actually, ever since Jessica died. They had been breaking up the journey by staying in a hotel and letting Amélie blow off steam in a park with either himself or Sam playing with her, and had set off for the last bit of the journey this morning. Suddenly Sam jumped awake in the seat beside Dean making him jump, causing the car to swerve a little before Dean got it under control once again. After checking on Amélie through the rearview mirror to make sure she was alright, he turned to his brother.
"You okay?" Dean asked, sparing Sam a glance before turning back to the road.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Sam said robotically.
"Another nightmare?" Dean asked. Sam cleared his throat not answering his brother.
"You want to drive for a while?" Dean asked again, hoping to make him feel better.
"Dean, never in your whole life have you once asked me that." Sam replied, with a laugh.
"Just thought you might want to, and I could've cuddled with my Princess, but never mind." Dean responded with a sigh.
"Look, man, you're worried about me. And I get it, and thank you, but I'm perfectly okay." Sam said, lying through his teeth.
"Mm-hm." Dean replies, obviously not believing him.
"Where are we?" Sam asks, changing the subject.
"We're just outside Grand Junction." Dean replies.

Realising Dean doesn't believe him, Sam grabs the map and continues to examine it, folding it over until it shows Colorado and revealing a large, red X that marks where their Dad had marked the coordinates in his Journal. Sam folds the map down again, after checking they were on the right course.
"You know," He says with a sigh, lowering his voice so he doesn't wake up his niece. "Maybe we shouldn't have left Stanford so soon." Sam sighed.
"Sammy", Dean starts. "We looked around there for a week. We came up with nothing, if you wanna find the thing that killed Jessica-"
"We've gotta find Dad first." Sam sighs, interrupting Dean.
"Dad disappearing, and this thing showing up after over twenty years later? It's no coincidence." Dean points out worriedly, sparing a glance at his peacefully, slumbering daughter.