"I'll be doing my own assessment then."

My head snapped to him.

What the actual fuck?

"Yes, of course, Alpha," the other guy was nodding profusely.

Alpha Eastwood strode to the centre of one of the sparring rings, while I stayed rooted in my spot for almost several minutes.

"Enter the ring, Reya."

The way he said my name sent tingles down my spine.

"I'm quite fine where I am, Alpha," I deflected.

"You have five seconds to move, and for your father's sake, I suggest you get on it," he growled out.

I glared at him and his threat of hurting Uncle Eddie, but walked to the ring.

"First to get three opportunities to kill wins," he instructed coldly. "Last as long as you can."

We stood facing each other, and I met his intense gaze. He studied me with caramel orbs and it took everything in me to suppress a shiver. Neither one of us attempted to get into a fighting stance.

My thoughts drifted back to the first night we met - I couldn't even fathom hurting my mate at the time. Now, my wolf wanted nothing more than to shove his face into the dirt.

He began circling me, his eyes not straying from mine even once. My muscles tensed, anticipating an attack at any moment, as I turned with him.

In a flash, he was in front of me, sending a fist flying towards my face. My body reacted naturally by flinching away, but I withheld from properly dodging his punch. Bracing myself for the impact, I shut my eyes, but was surprised when it never came.

Instead, I felt a hand wrap around my throat tight enough to cause discomfort, but not actually kill.

"Dead," he said in an icy tone, his eyes glaring into my own, before releasing me and stepping back.

A crowd had gathered, and I could practically feel their judgement at my weak abilities.

"Fight me," he commanded.

I'd make the big bad Alpha swallow his teeth if all these people weren't here.

I crouched slightly, hunching my shoulders forward as I focused on him.

Shifting forward on my left, my left hand flew out, faking a punch that he didn't even bother to deflect, before I thrusted my knee up towards his stomach. My mate just pushed it back down with a flick of his palm, throwing me off balance.

His right leg moved in between mine, pushing them open as he swept his foot out in a kick that knocked me off my feet. I tumbled to the ground and he stood over me, claws out by my neck.

"Dead."

He returned back to the centre, and I mentally groaned as I got up. The humiliation was only getting worse, and I wanted to get it over with as fast as possible.

Alpha Rowan sent another punch in my direction, which I blocked weakly with my left forearm.

Noticing his left side was partially undefended, I took the opportunity to throw in a poor punch of my own.

Suddenly, I felt him grab and twist my arm, spinning me around so my back was towards him. His breath fanned across me as his canines grazed my neck.

I froze.

"Dead."

His voice was a harsh whisper just below my ear.

As soon as the word left his mouth he released me, leaving my body feeling cold from his absence.