Chapter 11: Opening Night

Time flew by quickly and before they knew it, it was 3 o'clock. They drove to the school and arrived a little early. Mr. A told them to change into their costumes, along with some other kids. Upon going backstage, Milly saw Harry there, a bandage still on his nose from Carter's effective punch. He also had a new pair of glasses.

"Should I say something to him?" Milly thought. "Would it be weird?"

She then felt someone tap on her shoulder; she turned her around.

She saw Carter standing there in his Romeo costume. She had to admit, he did look very handsome in his costume. His attire consisted of a blue coat that parted in the middle that had metal clasps that fastened it.

He had a lace shirt underneath it and the frilly cuffs stuck out from under the coat. He had brown trousers and boots that were almost up to his knees.

"Come with me," he said and grabbed her hand as he led her into the storage room.

"W-what are you doing, Carter?" Milly said as Carter shut the door to the storage closet.

"Listen, Milly. I need to ask you something."

"Why did you bring me in here?"

"It's the only place where we could talk privately."

"Okay, what did you want to ask me?"

"I know it might sound like a lot to ask, but can you please not talk to Harry for a bit?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well," he took a breath, "It's just going to make me punch him again. I can't get what that jerk did to you out of my head and I need to be focused on the play today. Please, at least until the play is over," He held both of Milly's hands, "I know I'm asking for a lot-."

"It's fine, Carter."

"Thank you, Milly."

Then the door opened and a stagehand stared at them.

"Um, please save whatever you're doing," she looked up and down at them, "For after the play."

Milly and Carter's cheeks turned red.

"No, it's not what it looks like," Carter said, trying to convince the stagehand.

"We were just talking."

"Tch, whatever. Just get out of my way."

They scurried out of the closet quickly. Carter apologized for putting her in that awkward position.

"Sorry, Milly. That was my fault." he ran his fingers through his black hair.

"It's okay." she giggled.

"You two get ready! We start in 10!"

"Alright! Good luck out there." Milly said to Carter and kissed him on the cheek quickly, her light red dress flouncing away. Her hair was in a long loose braid and her dress had long sleeves with the hemmings outlined in gold fabric. She looked stunning and Carter was caught by surprise when she kissed him on the cheek, a boisterous grin plastered on his face.

The play was going well so far and everyone was doing an amazing job. Milly was so caught up in her role that she didn't even notice that the kissing scene was coming up. Carter was doing so well for his first time and Milly was very proud of him. He started reciting his lines for the upcoming scene.

"O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do. They pray; grant thou, lest faith turn to despair."

"Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake," Milly said, acting as Juliet.

"Then move not while my prayer's effect I take. Thus from my lips, by thine, my sin is purg'd." Carter said. He looked at her and before they could kiss, the shrieking sound of the fire alarm went off.

"Eeeeeeeee!"

Everyone ran out to the parking lot and the teachers made sure everyone was safe. Milly was standing outside trying to process what just happened. Suddenly, she felt a hand grab her forearm and drag her away from the parking lot where nobody could see them.

"Wha-!" She was silenced by a finger put to her lips. It wasn't fully dark outside, but the sun was setting, casting an orange tint over everything.

"Shhhh."

"Carter?!"

He took a breath and stared into her eyes. "Milly," he said, almost a whisper, "I have to tell you something."

"Can't it wait after the play?"

"No." his gaze stayed on her eyes and his breath became shaky.

"Carter, is everything alright?"

"Yes," he looked hesitant and took a steady breath, "I have never kissed anyone before and the thought of having my first kiss in front of everyone scares me. Especially since," he swallowed, "I want it to be with you."

Milly was taken aback by his words. She stood there speechless and surprised.

"Wow, Carter. I never knew that. I always thought you had dated a bunch of girls."

"Never. Milly, you were the first girl to even kiss my cheek. The time you invited me over to your house, it was the first girl's bedroom I have ever been in. You are the first girl I have ever been alone in a room before. All of those times I, umm." He blushed at the thought of the time in the library and her bedroom,

"Yeah," Milly said and blushed too.

"I have only done that to you. That's why I felt so jealous when Harry kissed you. It wasn't just jealousy though, it was all of my emotions mixed."

"Carter, why didn't you tell me?"

"I couldn't. I tried so many times, but I couldn't. The time I ran off stage, I didn't want to kiss you then. Not when we were fighting and in front of everyone. That's why I've been avoiding rehearsing that scene," he held both of her hands as their fingers locked with each other, "That's why, if you'll let me," he whispered in her ear, "May I kiss you?"