Two.

"What were you trying to prove?" I yelled, pacing back and forth, "Everyone talks about how I 'graduated top of my class' but then you go and pull that kind of shit and embarrass me! How am I supposed to prove that I'm good enough if I can't control my horse? Erwin's going to kick me off his squad and it will be all your fault!"

Ace didn't react.

I threw my hands up in frustration, not sure what I was even doing in the stables this late besides escaping the female barracks so I could vent in peace. I scratched at the bandage around my head, trying to avoid messing my hair up any more than it already was. I stubbornly kept it long and just braided it up every day, but they had pulled my hair down to access my head and wrap it with gauze to keep the patch where I had been bleeding in place. They obviously didn't pay any attention to my hair, so it was sticking out and lumping above the bandages.

"I don't even want to be on his stupid squad," I muttered, calmer, "I'm not ready. I want to be with my friends. They all think I'm this cute, pathetic thing and don't even care if they hurt my feelings, you know?" Ace leaned his head down and pulled up a mouthful of hay, eating it noisily. I fell back against the wood paneling between the stalls and shut my eyes.

"We would look so cool together if you just worked with me," I mumbled on, wanting to fill the silence, even with silly, irrational conversation with Ace, "I'd be the hottest rider with my majestic steed—"

"Roth?" came a voice from down the other side of the stables. My eyes flew open and I whipped my head to the side to see the person I least wanted to interact with right now.

I slapped my hands over my face, groaning as I slid down the wood to land on the hay-strewn ground. Already I was breaking protocol; I should stand up and salute my captain, but I felt as if I could be a little more edgy around him.

His footsteps grew louder as he approached and I waited for him to stop before I muttered into my hands, "What are you doing here?" I realized how rude that sounded, so I pulled my hands from my face and looked up at him.

"I was actually looking for you," he admitted, offering me a hand, "I was told you had left the infirmary before the night horn, so I checked the female barracks and then the mess hall, but I definitely didn't expect you to be here."

"Looking for me?" I asked, taking his hand to pull me back up to standing. Even though I was standing now, I had to crane my neck back to look up to him.

"Of course," he answered, "I needed to check if you were okay."

For some reason when he had mentioned it, I thought he wanted to find me for more personal reasons, but I brushed it off quickly. He was handsome, but I couldn't turn into some giggling schoolgirl every time I found a soldier attractive. I was already awkward and intimidated, developing a crush would ruin any chances of gaining his respect.

"Right," I mumbled, "I'm fine. My ego will take a little more time to recover than my head injury though."

"Still don't want me to get you a nice mare?" he asked, cocking an eyebrow, "You could even take my horse if we're really that desperate that we're giving recruits stallions."

I looked at the ground, biting the inside of my cheek to keep myself from giving some thoughtless response. After I didn't reply, he spoke again.

"Alright, grab his gear then," he told me evenly, stepping over to reach his hand towards Ace's nose.

"What?" I asked, watching him with confusion, "What do you mean?"