two || "Is He Your Boyfriend Or Something..?"

Start from the beginning

Unknown: Hey. It's Jay, Dev gave me your number.

I had completely forgotten about that.

Summer: Hey, and yeah I know aha.

Maybe that was too dry?

Jay: Save my number. 😌

Summer: Already did :)

Jay: Bet, what do you have planned for the day?

I was praying he wasn't going to ask me to hang out.  I was content with staying inside all day. I also wasn't ready to endure that weird first hangout tension. Jay was in a couple of classes of mine so he wasn't technically a stranger, but we didn't know each other enough for it to be any less awkward.

Summer: Probably staying in watching some movies, might hang out with Devon later.

Why would I mention Devon?

I bit my nail as I watched him start typing. The three dots appeared and vanished seconds later.

Jay: Is he your boyfriend or something..?

I locked my phone trying to think of a reply. A simple 'No' would have been just fine, of course, he wasn't my boyfriend.

Summer: Why would he give you my number if he was?

Jay: I'm just fuckin with you😭

I should have felt relieved but I wasn't. This was exactly why talking to people felt exhausting. I entertained him for a few minutes more before he had to head to basketball practice. Slightly relieved that it was all over, I took a deep breath putting my phone on silent.

Time to go back to sleep.

...

A loud bang woke me from my nap. Disoriented, I went to open the door knowing that there could only be one person banging on it at ten o'clock at night.

"Ice cream?" Devon stood holding two bags with a spoon in between his teeth.

I couldn't help but laugh. He invited himself in and handed me a bag, and I closed the door behind him.

"How was your day?" He asked with a spoonful of ice cream in his mouth.

"Slept for most of it, you?"

He flashed me a concerned look. "You shouldn't do that, it ruins your sleep schedule."

I rolled my eyes and laid down on the couch, taking a spoon full of cookies n' cream with me.

"Did Jay text you?" all amusement is stripped from his voice now.

"Yeah, earlier today. Why?"

He shrugged and lifted up my legs so he could sit, placing them on his lap instead.

"Just curious."

I knew there was more he wanted to say but I decided not to push him. If he wanted to talk about it he would. "How's Claire from philosophy?" I asked in hopes he'd confide in me.

"I'm seeing her tonight."

Again with the dry responses.

I made an "o" shape with my mouth, nodding lightly.

Realizing I was getting annoyed, he gave me a squeeze around my ankle, "I'm sorry, okay?"

I met his gaze.

"I've just had a lot of stuff on my mind recently. I'll tell you when I figure it out." I smiled, letting him know he could tell me whenever he was ready. Devon had many layers to him, his vulnerability was one I never did get used to.