VI. Meeting The Queen

Taehyun woke up the next morning to licking on his face. Confused, he opened his eyes, seeing Beomgyu sitting next to him, along with a cat that was licking treats off of him.

"I read a book and let you sleep in a little bit because of what happened last night, but my grandma wants me downstairs now. Are you ready to meet the queen?"

It's too early for this shit.

Taehyun looked at the alarm clock and his eyes widened when it was only 8 a.m.

"Sleep in?!"

"7 a.m. is sleeping in for me. I have a very busy morning schedule."

Taehyun didn't think about that.

"Hm... well what do you do in the morning?"

"I already took a shower. In a little bit I go eat breakfast with the queen, and then we think of new laws, and then we play baseball. All before noon."

He smiled and Taehyun's eyes widened. "It is busy. Do you think I can take a shower?"

"A quick one. We have to be down there by nine. I'll have clothes out here when you're done."

Taehyun thanked him, quickly bowing before going into the bathroom. It was somehow nice, even for a bathroom. It was marble and dark wood with some plants here and there. And there was both a bathtub and a shower.

It was pretty cool. Which it's not like Taehyun would expect anything less than that from a literal prince.

The hot water was painful on his body, so he had to take an annoying cold one. But the cold water did feel good on all his injuries.

When he got out, he blow dried his hair and there was a new set of clothes on the bed. A black suit with a black shirt under it. And there were also black shoes, which made him assume Beomgyu just checked to see what his size was.

He quickly got dressed, finishing right before the prince entered the room.

"Are you read- Taehyun," he giggled and walked over with a brush to fix the rat's nest on Taehyun's scalp. The boy just looked down with a pout as Beomgyu continued taking care of him like last night. "What's the matter Darling?"

"You shouldn't be taking care of me."

"Nonsense. Leaders are here to serve. I've been serving you since I accepted my place in the royal family."

"I don't like that."

"I'm sorry..." he looked away and then went to go get his crown. "It is true though." Taehyun thought Beomgyu looked cool. He was also wearing all black, but he had long black gloves on, along with a cape.

Honestly Taehyun would agree to all this just so he could be rich and powerful.

"Taehyun... being royalty is a lot more than all of this. This crown is a lot more than all of this," he said, placing the golden accessory on his head. "This is all just the beginning of who I want to be. And I know... you don't have to join me if you don't want to. But... I need your help to find somebody who will then."

The younger shrugged. "Sure. I can do that. I know a lot of people."

Beomgyu smiled and nodded, grabbing his hand to guide him downstairs. They passed multiple guards and maids on the way, who gave them confused looks, and Taehyun gulped.

"Hey, it's fine. Most of these people just think I'm straight. That's why they're looking at us like that. Don't mind them, okay?"

Taehyun looked at him and nodded, internally freaking out when they entered a large dining room.

There was a group of people talking in one corner and Beomgyu pulled a panicking Taehyun over.

"Grandma, this is my friend, Taehyun," he said.

The woman turned around and Taehyun immediately stepped back and bowed.

"Your Majesty."

She smiled at him. "So respectful Kang Taehyun."

"How do you know my name?" He kindly asked, holding his hands behind his back.

"As the queen, I know who everyone in the kingdom is. It's a hard thing to keep knowledge of, and I don't expect Beomgyu to he able to accomplish it. But he has been learning." Beomgyu groaned in embarrassment and Taehyun giggled, following him to sit down.

"You know I don't like when you tell people that," Beomgyu said, brushing Taehyun's hair out of his face since it somehow got messy again in that short amount of time.

The queen sat at the end of the table and smiled at them.

"Beomgyu..."

"Yeah?"

"This friend of yours... Kang Taehyun... how old is he?"

"Nineteen. Why?"

Taehyun was looking at the woman with wide eyes, realizing he had cuts and bruises all over his face.

"Nineteen and getting into fights?" She tsked and Taehyun shrunk in his seat.

"No, no, grandma. You don't understand. He got beat up because..." he sighed and shook his head. "People were jealous of him. People who wanted to be the king or queen themselves."

She nodded. "I saw the pictures in the paper. You don't have to lie and say that he's your friend."

"He is my friend. He doesn't want to be king, so I won't push it."

Taehyun shrunk further in his seat when the queen and all the staff looked at him.

The woman stood up and looked at Taehyun calmly.

"Why did you kiss him if you don't want to be with him?"

"I-I don't know miss."

"Beomgyu, after you and your friends play baseball, we will be looking at different royals that you might like, got it?"

The boy nodded, nearly as afraid as Taehyun. His grandmother never acted like this, so it was a little alarming to him.

Cooks brought out a bunch of food and Taehyun watched them with wide eyes.

"This is a lot, don't you think?" He whispered to Beomgyu.

"Well it's not all for us. And besides, that's why we play baseball in a little bit." He giggled, getting some food and gesturing for Taehyun to do the same.

He shyly got some food, not making eye contact with anyone until he saw all the utensils in front of him.

"Beomgyu, which ones do I-"

"The ones on the left for breakfast," he said before taking a drink of milk.

Taehyun was insanely awkward the entire time.

Well, he was literally having breakfast with a queen and prince.