| 38 | désespérer

Start from the beginning

But knowing it's a Saturday, I can't be bothered.

All I do is nod before taking another shot.

I can feel the functionality of my senses begin to recede.

After Devin apologized for all the pain he's caused me, we've been communicating again as things are gradually starting to go back to the way they used to be.

But I can't help but still have my guards up around him for nothing he says nor does can erase the pain he's inflicted.

"Who'd you fight?"

"Tatianna," I answer blankly.

"It was about time you saw her true colours," he comments in a matter-of-fact tone before he gulps a shot.

His reaction doesn't surprise me because Devin has never liked Tatianna to begin with.

During our college years, he always had negative comments to say about her because he was adamantly convinced Tatianna wasn't genuine.

How I regret never taking his words seriously.

"At least tell me you held your own in the fight," Devin presses further, "It'll mean all those self-defense techniques I taught you came to good use."

"The fight was equal in strength," I answer while shrugging, "but her arms and face are covered in bruises so you could say I did something right."

He chuckles, "Wish I was there to witness."

Before I can respond, he ends up retrieving his phone from his pocket.

His brows knit in confusion upon seeing the caller ID.

"Who's this?" Devin answers the call coldly before his perplexed gaze shifts to me.

My brows furrow.

"Do you really think I'd tell you where my sister is?" Devin instigates in sarcasm, "for your sake, don't call this number again if you intend to live."

Upon putting two and two together, I conclude Ludovic's on the other line.

Ugh.

His determination to find me is soliciting so many mixed emotions within.

"I specifically warned you to stay away from her," Devin snarls as belligerence contorts his face, "and yet, here we are. What makes you think I'd ever want a jackass like you to get any close to her?"

He pauses for a few seconds before saying,

"Well, she's not here so give up your irrelevant search already."

And with that, Devin hangs up the phone. 

Running my fingers through my tresses, I sigh.

Ludovic's acting like a worried boyfriend to the point where he's going as far as to contact my brother to track me.

The only person who knows where I am is Yara since she constantly kept calling me earlier today to check up on me.

Hopefully, Yara would respect my privacy and abstain from disclosing my location to Ludovic.

Although the text message I receive from her minutes later is enough to enrage me.

Sis, I know I wasn't supposed to tell anyone where you are but I couldn't help it. Ludovic practically begged me to reveal your whereabouts and I caved. I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Please don't be mad at me.

— Yara