09: Hueco

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Hueco

(adj.) hollow

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

A week has passed, and Maya hasn't spoke to Javier since that day. She use to having spare conversations with Javier, though this time she was avoiding him. She didn't know what changed, but any courage she had with him before dissipated like a nostalgic childhood memory. Luckily for her, she was out of the apartment to run her club and her job, allowing her to successfully avoid Javier.

It was hard for her to do that because she was haunted by the thoughts of a pair of dark eyes and sweet sighs racked her mind.

"Are you good?" Alyssa asked Maya.

Maya and Alyssa took the subway back to Alyssa's old high school today to run their weekly meeting with the student volunteers on ground. To start the yearly program, Maya discusses about the topics she wants to plan for the curriculum, which has been her greatest investment at college. When Maya and Alyssa came up with the idea end of her freshman year, Maya has spent many summers recruiting volunteers from NYU to volunteer at low-income schools. Now, her work is at two schools and will be expanding to two more.

Alyssa and Maya were in the staff office that was typically used by teachers in the high school. Though the meeting ended, they were using the space to wrap up their notes and work on other assignments. Feeling mentally drained, Maya saved her notes from the meeting and closed her laptop.

"What makes you ask?" Maya asked.

Alyssa's hand was tucked under chin, staring at Maya. "You seem more depressed than usual," she observed. Maya placed her laptop in her bag.

Maya shook her head with a smile. "You know some people consider that rude."

Alyssa shrugged like she couldn't be bothered. She flipped her dark hair back. "So Esteban has mentioned to me many times before," she responded dryly.

While she was talking, Maya's phone buzzed on the table. Maya saw Jay's name popped up on her screen.

Jay: Are you coming tonight? You better be

At the sight of the text, anxiety fell onto Maya's body like a second skin. She has been dodging Jay's texts the entire week. Like every year, Diwali was a big event on campus. The school rented out the top floor of their school building, overviewing the campus.

She knew this was a big event and everyone will be there. Of course they would be. It's a Friday night, and she should be out there too. She wished she had the energy to deal with it.

Maya: Not sure. I have a lot of homework

Jay: Bullshit. This is one of your favorite holidays! Do this for our friendship. I know you want to

"Are you listening to me?" Alyssa asked loudly, causing Maya's body to recoil .

Maya's head jumped back at Alyssa's voice with shock. Her eyes widened.

"What?"

Alyssa groaned loudly, pounding her fist to the table with mild frustration. "This is exactly what I mean. Your head is in the clouds. Is everything okay with you, girl?"

Maybe inviting Alyssa would make Maya feel better about going to a Diwali party.

"Do you want to come to this party tonight?"