Fireplace Mantel

In a few days time

Some afternoons in the past, Levi visited Hanji in her chambers to find her still in bed. That day was no different.

To her credit, she was fully dressed atleast in the black Survey Corps pants and a white button-up shirt, lying on top of the blanket with a jittery expression. Not even after an entire week's time did her condition improve, which Levi presumed to be lies to ease his worries. In front of the court, Military Police officers, generals of different branches, generally people who had no business in her private life, Hanji seemed collected and proper, suitable for the high rank and responsibility she was assigned. However, behind closed doors, she always appeared shattered, the weight of their future breaking her ever thinning figure.

Once, a long time ago, while they were lounging on the couch in her office, Hanji had an interesting thought to share with him.

As she was frantically reviewing a study she's probably rendered a thousand times previously, her head resting in his lap, Hanji's body sprung up into as sitting position, startling Levi. He was on the verge of choking the life out of her, when the loudmouth begun blabbering again.

"You know, Levi, I've been wondering about something!" Hanji brooded, lips pouty as she huddled closer to him. She tilted her head on his shoulder, peeking up. "It's a terrible curse to be humanity's strongest soldier." The excitement her voice carried faded, solemnity taking over. "It's the most atrocious, heartless thing that could happen to anyone, to be frank. The role of the strongest... Is a lonely one. Because of their endurance and persevarance, they survive everything and they are forced to watch their comrades, allies, friends and loved ones wither away and die, let it be an injury or the blessing of a quick death... The strongest doesn't die. As a result of that... They always end up alone." Hanji's eyes were fixated on their matching cups on the coffee table nearby. "It's not entirely about the raw physical strength, but the unbreakable will to live and help others survive, too. It's almost like... As if they made this role for you."

Hanji never ceased to amaze Levi. After drawn out hours of exhausting and draining her brain with millions of unnecessary details, she could still propose a concept of the preposterous nature of humanity.

In opposition with her old energetic and freethinking appearance, this side of Hanji seemed angry, stressed and ultimately exhausted. Whenever they've exchanged looks, Hanji resembled a broken husk, a vessel without soul, someone who prepared herself for the end of the world. Squinting up from her pillow she's aimed a mushy, welcoming smile at him and Levi couldn't resist the charm she engulfed him with. Lowering to the bed he untangled and smoothed her unkempt, messy hair with his long, slender fingers.

"Let's ride out today, Four Eyes."

Allowing themselves time to recharge wasn't considered a sin, right? From the common folk to the noblemen, everyone's had unique methods of rejuvenation. For some, sleeping was the ultimate answer while others set out to solicit prostitues. As for Levi, when his tight schedule allowed relaxation, he enjoyed complete stillness, the company of a pleasant story to read, warm tea or spending time with the people he cared about.

To his suggestion, Hanji huffed into her pillow. It was an order as well as something she couldn't take lightly. As if anyone was in position to order the Commander around.

Well, in fact, he was.

"I'll prepare your horse. If you won't be by the stables in fifteen minutes, I'll kick your ass down the stairs."

Hanji acknowledged the words with a singsong-y "mhhhmmm" which was muffled by the pillow.

An hour later the two of them were riding outside of Wall Rose on a shabby, decaying dirt-road which had lain over the earth since the first of the Scouts' who trampled the way clean for them. Amid the infinitely greened hills and trees towering above them the road stretched onwards, hugging the land, taking each turn in an easy stride. Their final destination was the decrepit castle that used to serve as the Headquarters of the Survey Corps before they were forcibly relocated to Trost district. The sight of the castle brought him back in time to the beginning, when him and his former squad were escorting Eren. Ever since the world opened up in front of their eyes and the titans weren't a threat anymore, it was safe to reinforce and stabilize the stronghold. Under his command, the place had to be kept squeaky clean. The residents of the fortification were mostly scouts and explorers whose main focus was to report suspicious and unnatural sights across the land. That day though, on his order, no scouts were nearby to give them trouble.