Chapter 23 - The One With The Family Picnic

Somewhere on the road from Delhi to Gurugram - Saturday, September 1st, 10:30 am

"Ishimaa, are you sure you're okay to go on this picnic?" Ruhi asked again.

"Yes baby, I'm totally fine. Don't worry. We'll have lots of fun," Ishita assured her daughter seated in the backseat of the car.

It had been over two weeks since Ishita recovered from the unexpected bout of food poisoning, but even so, Ruhi was very cautious. She had been looking forward to this picnic with her parents for almost a month but Ishita's health was her primary concern. Raman too had been insistent on postponing the trip if necessary, citing his refusal to take her to the hospital if her health worsened due to her own carelessness. Ishita had retorted saying she knew how to take care of herself, and she didn't want to upset Ruhi either. She was well enough to fight Ravan Kumar; going on a picnic with her own daughter would be a walk in the park.

"In 500 meters, turn right." Siri narrated the directions to The Rosetta, a 5-star resort on the outskirts of Delhi, to Raman behind the wheel.

"Mumma, resort mein kya kya cheezein hai karne ko," Ruhi asked. [Mumma, what activities are there in the resort?]

"Wahan pe spa hai, pool hai, 5-star restaurants hai, aur bahot saari activities hai, Ruhi. It will be lots of fun." [There is a spa, a pool, 5-star restaurants, and many other activities.]

"Meri swimsuit?!" Ruhi gasped. It didn't even occur to her to have it packed. [My swimsuit?!]

"Don't worry, I have packed everyone's swimming clothes."

"Thank you, mumma..."

"You're welcome."

"Mumma, agar Shravu aata to kitna mazaa ata na?" [Mumma, it would've been so much fun if Shravu came too.]

"Beta, humne sabko invite kiya tha, par sab busy the. Shravu ki swimming classes hai, aur Bala periappa ko apne class ke papers check karne the." [Beta, we invited everyone, but everyone was busy. Shravu has swimming classes, and Bala periappa has to grade his class papers.]

In fact, Ishita had invited every member of the Bhalla and Iyer clan, but thankfully, they knew better than to bombard the family's picnic. Romi and Rinki were genuinely busy, as they had plans with their friends. Mihika and Mihir dared not to interfere with the couple's private time when they finally saw proof of Ishita and Raman coming closer. Both sets of parents had similar thoughts. Toshi and Omprakash refrained from coming as Raman and Ruhi were finally developing a real relationship. They needed their time and space. Vishwa and Madhu excused themselves under the pretense of having to visit a relative, as they wished to see their daughter find true love and happiness with her husband. Ishita, on the other hand, found herself in a bit of a quagmire. Staying alone with Raman was a test of patience, one that she had given many times already. She hoped that if the rest of the family came along, they could act as a buffer. But alas, her fate was against her this time. Or so she thought. For it turned out, fate was working in their favor the whole time; they just couldn't see it.

"We'll be there in 10 minutes tops," Raman informed them.

.....................................................................................................................

The Rosetta

The Rosetta was a beautiful resort. It was surrounded by lush green trees and was interlaced with clear streams and ponds. The breeze cooled the late summer heat. Ishita, Raman, and Ruhi were led to their room for the weekend. It was a large suite with two king sized beds, two cupboards, and a luxurious bathroom with a shower and bathtub, something Ruhi delightedly pointed out.