Chapter Thirty Three: The Wall

Start from the beginning

"Oh, you're a prat," Willas muttered with a sigh, running a hand through his hair.

"I'm alright, thank you, brother," she replied calmly, looking Garlan in the eye to see he looked rather satisfied with annoying Willas yet disappointed she hadn't risen to his bait.

"You know, Eddmina, me and Leo were just talking about taking a trip to Dorne at some point," he tried again, though Eddmina felt her face grow hot. "Any thoughts? You clearly had a rather... impactful trip,"

"I don't understand," Jon said quietly, glancing to his sister with a frown.

"Good," Willas said coldly, glaring at his brother, who was utterly amused. So was Leonette, the two of them holding in laughter for dear life. "I swear to the seven, Garlan, don't make me want to murder you,"

"I'd rather you didn't, I prefer him joking about it than being annoyed," Eddmina shrugged before leaning over and resting her elbows on the table, her gaze flicking between the three sat across from her. "Would you just like me to say it though? Get it out in the open so you can stop giggling, and you can stop joking, and you can stop staring? Would it make you feel happier if I just said that I'm pregnant?"

She dropped her voice at the last two words, practically hissing them as she was still wary of people finding out. Despite her subtlety, the reactions were jubilant. Garlan and Leonette let out a cheer, and much to Eddmina's relief, Jon cracked a smile.

"The damned fool actually already knew," Willas confessed, and despite his annoyance Eddmina still noticed he found it impossible to hide his smile.

"Can't be that much of a fool if I figured it out before the both of you," Garlan shrugged proudly.

"And then Jon happened to overhear us when I was telling him to keep it quiet," Willas explained.

"Are you annoyed?" she asked Jon, turning her focus purely onto him, Robb's reaction running through her mind. "Because I'd rather you just tell me how you feel about it,"

"How I feel about it?" Jon asked, looking both amused and confused. "I'm happy for you, but I don't think it's much of my place to feel annoyed,"

"Perhaps you should have a conversation with our brother then," she muttered, rolling her eyes in annoyance.

Jon frowned at her words, knowing that Bran was still sleeping and Rickon would never dare be rude to his beloved big sister, and so he was left wondering just why Robb would be mean to Eddmina. Out of the corner of her eye she noticed Willas sit up a little straighter as if he too realised her twin must have upset her, but without looking she reached over and took hold of his arm, squeezing it as if to control his emotions. She shrugged, forcing a smile.

"I'm glad you're happy," she said, hoping to steer all of their thoughts away from anything negative.

"You know who else will be happy?" Garlan chimed up, and Eddmina was silently thankful that he knew her well enough to recognise when she really wanted to avoid certain topics. "Mother,"

"And your grandmother," Leonette added. "Perhaps now they'll stop pestering us,"

Eddmina cracked a small smile, especially as she felt Willas place one of his hands on hers.

***

After Lord Stark's meeting with the King regarding Bran, they were permitted with another five days in Winterfell before they would begin their long journey back to King's Landing. Eddmina initially wanted to celebrate, the thought of the royals leaving at long last being such a relief, yet it was tinged with bitterness, because the only reason the visit was extended was due to the unknowing of Bran's delicate condition, and when the visit did end it would also mean her family was torn apart. In trying times like those it felt cruel for them all to be separating, and she wanted nothing more than to shout at both of her parents until they saw sense, until they decided not to break up their family, but then she remembered that Winterfell wasn't technically her place anymore.