𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑙𝑜𝑔𝑢𝑒

3 weeks after Tony Stark's funeral, she sits in a black limousine, the windows completely tinted, blocking her from the outside world. Taking deep breaths, her inhales and exhales are shaky, nervous for the upcoming event. The driver stops in front of a large, intimidating building. The fate of her future was in the hands of the people inside.

She takes one last breath before her car door is opened, sliding on a pair of large sunglasses to hide her face, she steps out of the limo and into a group of armed guards, protecting her from the media around the courthouse.

She walks in sync with the guards, as cameras flash around her and reporters shout questions at her.

"What's going to happen to you?"

"What do you have to say about this?"

"Where are the rest of the Avengers? Why aren't they here with you?"

"Do you blame Stark for this incident?"

The girl kept her head down, avoiding any contact with the bothersome reporters, walking up the steps of the building, she exhaled deeply. Shaking off any worries she had, she gathered all her courage and put her chin up, strutting into the courthouse.

As soon as the doors of the courthouse were shut and the public was out of view, her hands were cuffed with power restrictors, she was taken by the guards into a room and sat down in front of a large council.

Murmurs were heard throughout the court and more reporters were spread across the room, their cameras and microphones set up carefully. The head of the council was sitting across from her, glaring holes into her.

"Y/n L/n," the man began to speak, "A former criminal put into the Avengers Initiative as 'a hero', am I correct?" He asked with his eyebrows raised, looking at her with a cocky expression.

"Yes, that is correct."

"Now we are here today to discuss what will happen to you. Your fellow 'heroes' have all gone their separate ways which makes me wonder, why did you stay?"

"This is my home, I have every right to be here," she stated firmly to the councilman.

"Wrong, actually," he chuckled, looking around at his other council members to see if they were laughing as well, when he saw that no one found humor in his joke he cleared his throat and spoke again, "No, actually you don't have a right to be here and walk free. You were brought in by the Avengers during a mission in Sokovia, correct?"

"Yes."

"And you were an international criminal because of your... physical anomalies?" He gestured to her hands in power restrictors on the table

"Yes," she said through gritted teeth.

"So why do you think you deserve to walk free, now? I mean you easily got away with everything you had done previously, why shouldn't we charge you now? Your little 'deal' you had, is over now."

"I was under Stark's protection!" Y/n defended herself, protesting the comments of the councilman across from her.

"Mhm, well you see, that's the thing, you said 'was', and I think you can see the issue with that. As much as you don't want to hear it, Stark is dead, therefore you don't have any more protection or immunity, and considering what your deal had in store for you, we have complete control now. So what's stopping us from locking you away?"

"The deal was that if I joined the Avengers then I wouldn't have to live the life I had led before."

"Yes, but the deal was that you would get the benefits under the watchful eye of Tony Stark, you are no longer under his supervision or protection, as I said before."