Chapter One - Death Defying Stunts

The chandeliers glittered in the dim lighting of the candles, sparkling like the night sky that painted the world above the laughing and dancing celebration. Lost in thought, I stared out into the blackness and thoughtfully gazed at the full moon hanging and illuminating the world below. For a brief moment, I could almost hear the desperate howls from across the island.

“Hey! Aspen!” Aaron, eerily similar in facial structure, danced in front of me with a wicked grin playing on his lips. My blue-green eyes flickered his way, watching him perform his lame version of ‘the Robot’.

Arching an eyebrow, I set down the glass I’d been holding for over an hour, remaining as full as it had when I’d been presented with it, “You know that thing you just did?” The boy nodded enthusiastically. “Don’t do that. Ever.”

Aaron threw his head back and laughed, repeating the move out of spite. I laughed too, it was infectious, and the idiocy of my brother lingering in my thoughts. After his spectacular show, he skipped around the top table and grabbed the seat beside me. We were the only ones sitting in that part of the room - everyone else was dancing; the Bride, the Groom, the Best Man, the rest of the Bridesmaids. I, however, wasn’t in the mood for dancing. Though it was a happy occasion - I’d finally managed to get rid of her older sister! - I couldn’t help but wonder how long it would be until I was pushed down the very same track. Aaron and I were next. Twins, in fact, so it could be either one of us unfortunate souls.

“You’re awfully pessimistic tonight,” the dark-haired boy observed. Knowing I hadn’t touched it, he picked up the glass holding the crimson liquid and threw it to the back of his throat like a shot. I threw him a look of distaste, a frown tugging on the edges of my plump lips.

“I was born to be pessimistic,” I replied, smirking when my twins eyes met mine with a blank look, “After all, my blood time is B Negative,” it wasn’t. We didn’t have a blood type, unless you counted favorite.

“Well, I--” their conversation was halted with the arrival of another. My Mother, Clarissa, dressed in typical black while her long, chestnut hair draping in waves down her back. Truthfully, I thought the wedding looked more like an upbeat funeral when some of the guests outfits were taken into consideration. Perhaps we were too much like their television stereotypes.

“Aspen, Aaron” the Vampire placed a hand on each of our shoulders and squeezed gently. I glanced up, refraining the urge to roll my eyes. She needed us for something, or, rather, me.

Not wanting to make a scene at my own sisters wedding, I stood up gracefully and smoothed down my awful pink dress. After hours of wearing it, I was still cursing Hollyn for picking such horrid outfits for her bridesmaids. “What now?” I asked dryly, my voice low. Clarissa’s eyebrows furrowed together as she shot her teenage daughter a familiar stern look. I might have been scared if I hadn’t went up against it more often than not.

“I want you to meet someone,” the woman replied, pursing her lips firmly.

“If this is one of your lame bachelor setups, you can just throw that out the wind--”

“Mrs. Thorne,” turning, someone else joined us. A man closer to our age, he couldn’t have looked older than nineteen, dressed in a clean-cut black suit. His hair glinted chestnut under the flickering lights and, though it was styled well, flopped at the front in a sort-of cute way. He was smiling directly at me and glancing into his eyes, I could see my own tiny wide-eyed reflection, “Miss. Thorne.”

“Hi,” I chirped. A polite smile etched its way onto my lips.

“Aspen, this is Dane Westwood,” I knew vaguely who he was by name; the Westwoods were like family. I’d been best friends with Dane’s younger sister, Rowan, since we could decipher words and our parents, Clark and Rianne, have been friends of my parents longer than I could begin to understand. I hadn’t seen Dane in years. He’d left school to work with his Father and then left The Vale for a year or two.