Chapter 22 - Luke cont. Cont.

I turned my head slowly to see who had given their recommendation. I saw the most gorgeous chocolate brown eyes. They were the beautiful deep brown colour of the most delicious mouth-watering chocolate. I could stare at those eyes all day. I was staring at those eyes all day. I shook my head slightly, breaking my gaze to take in the rest of him.

With longer blonde hair combed back, a white button-down shirt tucked into grey chinos with the top two buttons undone showing off the perfect amount of chest, and what looked to be a perfect chest. He had the classic good looks of an Abercrombie and Fitch model, and he worked as a private investigator and chased skips? I think I would stop and wait if I were the skip, hands outstretched for his handcuffs.

What did he say? What was I thinking about? Thankfully the assistant came to the rescue, 'Don't you listen to him Sang, I saw you eyeing off those berry muffins. You get what you want hun and leave Luke to me.'

I froze, was this Luke? The Luke? The 'give-me-an-accurate-description-starting-from-your-toes-up-to-your-hair' Luke?'

'Sang? My new receptionist Sang?'

I nodded mutely. Though technically I don't think I was his receptionist.

'I must say Gabriel's description does not measure up. You're 5 foot nothing, blonde haired, green eyed, absolutely adorable and definitely a breakfast in bed girl. Hmm,' he paused, carefully eyeing my stunned face 'I'd say you prefer boxers over briefs, if anything. Am I correct?' He finished with a raised brow.

Do I nod? Would that be giving him an underwear preference? Do I shake my head? I slid my eyes sideways to my new-found saviour, hoping she could rescue me again.

She seemed to pick up on my non-verbal cues, 'I would recommend the Raspberry and White Chocolate ones to start with Sang. You try those and tell me what you think of them next week.'

'I'll have one of those then thanks.' I glanced back to Luke, giving him a small smile, hoping he wasn't offended I didn't take his recommendation.

She packed one carefully and added it to the bag. 'Now you tell me if those boys start harassing you, just come to me and I'll help you out.'

I sent her a grateful look. 'Thanks,' I glanced down at her nametag 'Anon, I look forward to seeing you again.'

I picked up the bag carefully, trying to make sure none of the muffins got knocked. A strong tan hand landed on mine. Luke carefully extracted the bag out of my hand, his fingers brushing against mine.

'It's my turn this week, so I'll do the heavy lifting.'

He lead the way to the door, holding it wide open for me before stepping out behind.

We walked back to the offices, Luke striding along silently beside me. I caught him giving me sideways glances, studying me.

I studied the cracks as we walked, trying to think of a topic to break the silence, Luke seeming happy to walk along in silence. Luke would be the perfect person to confirm what Anon had said in the bakery. 'So Luke,' I looked over seeing I had his attention, 'Why haven't you ever had a receptionist before? Blackbourne Investigations has quite a few people working there, I'm surprised you managed to get by without one.'

His chocolate eyes crinkled as he gave me an easy smile. 'Who told you we haven't had one before? We did have one, a while ago. She lasted one day before North met her and that was it. I think her name was Jodie or Jane... Jade.' He screwed up his face in distaste and shuddered theatrically. 'I don't know what the agency was thinking sending her out for a trial. Never again.'

North had scared her off? My mental picture of North was joking and happy-go-lucky. Was he so bad he scared her off? What if he didn't like me and that was it? It made me feel slightly better about the job that they had had a receptionist before. They had needed me after all, if I survived meeting North.

We walked in to see Gabriel hovering over my desk. He looked up and swore, 'Oy, you said you wouldn't talk to strangers. You've picked up a stranger.'

I looked at Luke startled, wasn't this their Luke? He reached out, putting his palm on the top of my head. 'She's safe with me Gabe, I found her lost in a muffin stupor.'

Gabriel started to stride to the tearoom, calling over his shoulder. 'Bring them this way, I've got to go out soon.'

A row of mugs was on the counter in the kitchen. Gabriel was working across them, adding various creamers and sugar.

'Can I do anything to help?' Between Luke stealing my muffin bag and Gabriel doing hot drinks I was feeling rather useless, hovering around with empty hands.

'Could you take this to Nate? He's in the control room this morning.' Gabriel turned holding a red coffee mug.

I carefully took it, making my way to the control room. The door slid open at my knocking revealing Nathan with his phone in hand, mid conversation. He quickly scribbled a post-it note thanking me with a little smiley face on it.

Kota and Victor were just walking into the tearoom as I returned.

Gabriel had the mugs arranged on the table, everyone picking up theirs as they walked in. I started opening up cupboards trying to find a mug for myself.

A soft chop landed on my shoulder. 'What the f*ck are you doing Sang. I made you yours.' He presented me with a bright orange mug. 'Black tea with milk, yes?' I stared at the mug, offered by Gabriel. He had just made me my tea, perfectly. Had there been an office memo? It filled me with indescribable warmth. I didn't know what I felt, was it welcomed? I quickly took it from his hand, giving him a slightly watery smile. 'Thank you,' I whispered.

Luke had found a platter and was quickly arranging the muffins on it, placing it on the coffee table with a flourish. Reaching out he picked up the two biggest chocolate muffins and offered me one.

'Come on, try it, you know you want to.'

'That's a lot of chocolate,' I eyed the muffin dubiously. I picked up my raspberry and white chocolate muffin and held it out to him. 'See, chocolate and fruit, a clear winner.' I happily settled into a couch, my much anticipated muffin in my hand. I carefully pulled down the paper wrapped around the muffin and broke off a mouthful.

Luke sat down beside me, resting his thigh against mine. In his hands were the two chocolate muffins. He captured my eyes and wiggled his eyebrows, 'I will win you over yet.'

A small giggle escaped me at his outrageous behaviour. His eyes lit up, sparkling with amusement.

'I'll just sit here beside you...eating this deliciousness...you'll succumb soon.'