Chapter 20 - Luke

I felt the tickle across my face. A swift movement skimming over my cheek and into my hair. Another tickle glided up my left arm, pausing near my elbow before burrowing between my arm and my body.

I opened my eyes to see the shadow on the side of my face. I brushed my face, trying to remove whatever it was. Turning my head I looked to see what it was. A massive spider was on my pillow, scurrying back towards me.

My mouth opened up, screaming silently as I sat up. There were spiders all over me, on my blankets, on my thin strapped tank top, on the sheet beside me.

Horror filled me, I backed up to the headboard frozen, my breath uncontrolled and panicked. I jerked my arms, frantically brushing them off, trying to make myself as small as possible against the bed.

The flash of the camera alerted me, I wasn't alone. I shook my head desperately. Please no, not again. Raising my face I saw his delighted expression, as he aimed the camera again.

My hands were brushing my body hard, frantically. My whole body was overcome with shaking. I hadn't dreamed that one for a long time.

I hated it. I hated every memory, every nightmare, and every fearful thought. I wanted to be free from it all.

My eyes finally regained focus on the room I was in. It was my room, at my apartment. There was no one else here. I stumbled off the bed, pulling back the blankets and sheets.

I checked the apartment and returned to my room. Crawling back onto my bed I huddled in the corner against the wall, hugging myself tight to try and stop the trembling.

Time crept by slowly as I watched the faint light of dawn creep into the room. Dragging myself off the bed I began my preparations for the day.

The thought of work distracted my thoughts. I was looking forward to it. I longed for the small sense of safety I felt there, for the warmth and sincerity of them all, even the small touches.

The morning air was brisk as I walked. Breathing it in and feeling the coolness of it against my face reminded me I was alive, invigorating me, cleansing the last memories of my night from my mind. This was a new day.

Opening the reception door I headed straight to Kota's office. Tapping quietly on the door I waited for his invitation before slipping in, shutting the door quietly behind me.

Kota pushed aside his keyboard and stood, with a genuine smile lighting his face. 'Morning Sang, how are you?'

My smile appeared without thought, immediately answering his. 'Well thanks.'

I dug into my handbag and pulled out the last of the paperwork I had been required to complete for him.

'Here's the paperwork completed. I hope I've got everything there.'

Kota nodded, 'I'll check them now.'

He rounded the desk, taking the offered papers and indicated with his hand for me to take a seat in one of the chairs in front of his desk. He pulled the other chair close beside and sat down. Turning the pages he quickly skimmed through them, pausing occasionally to read something at length.

I bit my lip anxiously, hoping everything was in order and he was happy with them. Ironically, this was the first time that my details were correct, yet I had never felt so nervous when I had submitted false documents.

Flipping it shut, he tossed it onto his desk before turning to me.

I tensed up, waiting for his response. Would everything be in order? Was he now going to demand why there had been a discrepancy with my name?

'Everything looks fine Sang, you can relax. You got home safely after you appointment last night then?'

The memory of me basically assaulting a client flooded back. Should I say something to Kota? It made me feel sick just thinking about it. 'I, err...' my hand fluttered up to my lip and I forced it down. 'I...' I trailed off, wondering how to word it.

His hands grasped mine, causing my eyes to rush to his face. 'What happened Sang, were you ok?'

I took in a deep breath and pushed the words out. 'I-think-I-assaulted-one-of-our-clients. It was an accident,' I finished with a wail.

He froze for a moment then a look of nearly amusement traced over his face. 'Was this when you were leaving the building?'

I nodded my head miserably, my eyes falling back to my lap.

He squeezed my hands lightly and released them. 'It wasn't a client Sang, I know who it was and they were delightfully charmed with your assault. Don't worry about it.'

Oh no, it must have been a friend. Obviously a wealthy and influential friend, with bodyguards. I didn't know which was worse, it being a client or a friend.

Kota's fingers gently traced my cheek. 'Sang, please don't worry about it. I'm not the least bit concerned about it.'

I gave him tight-lipped smile. I would just have to try and forget it, hoping that I didn't run into this friend, literally or figuratively, ever again.

'I'll get started then. Thanks for everything Kota.'

He stood, offering me his hand and helping me up. 'It's never a problem Sang. Just remember you can talk to me about whatever bothers you.'

I nodded again and left his office, locking my handbag away before settling into reception.

As nerve-wracking as it was, giving my correct details to Kota, I was happy I had done it. It was over with and now I could focus on my work.