Chapter 26 - The Scene of the Crime

I approach the reception determinedly. Knowing that Luke had searched every nook and cranny gave me the confidence I needed. My eyes darted backwards and forwards across the carpet, trying to see a trace of where it had been, but it was spotless. The pot plants had also been removed from the room. I had enjoyed having them in the reception, they added to the atmosphere, but now the thought of them sent a shudder through me.

'Will you be okay out here?' Kota had followed me out to reception, his sober gaze set on me.

I nodded my head. 'I know it's okay, it's got the Luke stamp of approval. Besides, I can't very well be scared of my desk can I?' I gamely smiled.

Kota's face remained serious, 'We could organize something else if you aren't ready to come back out here, just say the word.'

I walked forward confidently. I could do this. North had killed it, Nathan had cleaned it and Luke had secured it. All I had to do was sit down and work. I gingerly sat down on my seat and looked back at Kota triumphantly. 'See?'

He gave me a small smile. 'I'll leave you to it then. Just give me a buzz if you need anything or change your mind.'

He walked past the desk, his finger tips trailing across the front. My eyes followed his fingers then him as he walked down the hall towards his office. The door shut with a soft snick.

The air seemed to suck out of the room, I turned quickly and looked at where the 'thing' had been. Nothing. Rolling my chair backwards I leaned forward, checking under my desk from a distance. Nothing. Picking up a pen, I used it to carefully pull the top drawer open, trying to stay as far away from the drawer as possible. Nothing. Nothing but individually wrapped chocolates. My hand hovered over them for a moment before snagging one. Sitting back into my chair against the wall I unwrapped it, popping it into my mouth. I closed my eyes and rested my head against the wall.

I desperately wanted to do my own extensive search of the room. The fear was still crawling through me.

The smooth dark chocolate melted slowly in my mouth, revealing a delicious hazelnut nougat centre. A smile crept over my lips. These were amazing, just the thing I needed.

I slowly opened my eyes, lifting my head. I looked around the room with new eyes. Luke had assured me he had checked everywhere. Could I trust that he had? What if he had just said that so I didn't worry? Indecisiveness filled me. Crossing my arms across my chest I rubbed my upper arms, causing the wrapper in my hand to crinkle. I stopped. I think I needed to trust Luke. To make the leap. I leaned over to the bin and scrunching my eyes shut, tossed the wrapper in. Controlling the part of me that wanted to check the bin for any 'things', I wheeled back into position at my desk and continued my work.

The afternoon passed quickly, with someone walking through the reception area every 15 minutes. I started timing them after a while, wondering how they had organized a roster so quickly. Their thoughtfulness warmed me, assuring me that my job wasn't in jeopardy because of my issues.

The phone beside me rang, causing me to jump slightly. I was feeling a little on edge. Picking it quickly I answered it.

'Good Afternoon, thank you for calling Blackbourne Investigations. This is Sang. How may I help you?'

There was a pause before Gabriel's voice came over the line.

'What's this I hear about a Code Black in the office this afternoon?'

Did he mean the 'thing'? Or the meltdown? Or did something else happen too?

'What exactly does a 'Code Black' entail?'

'Anytime one of those 8 legged f*ckers comes near you or me, it's a Code Black.'

I giggled at the official code name. 'Yes, there was a Code Black this afternoon. North dealt with it.'

'I bet he did. His sh*tkickers could crush anything. What's this I hear about you not calling for help?'

How did he know all this? Did they send out an incident report to everyone?

'I ... I er... It was stalking me!' The humorous way Gabriel was talking about it and the fact I couldn't actually see him made it easier to talk about.

'No!... They do that don't they. And it got closer and what happened?'

'I...I lost it. I completely freaked out. I...I had a panic attack.' I held my breath. I had said that out loud. I had panic attacks over 'things'.

'Pfft. I don't blame you. They scare the absolute sh*t out of me. Creepy f*ckers. It's those eyes, and creepy f*cking legs. I was getting dressed one morning and one crawled out of my t-shirt, across my back. Stupid creepy f*ckers.'

I shuddered in empathy. I quickly yanked open the drawer and popped another chocolate in my mouth. Mmmm...

His tone turned amused, 'Are you eating candy?'

'Mmmm-Mmmm...' I moaned, teasingly.

'D*mn. Sh*t. Mother-f*cker, you can't do that Sang, not when I'm not there.'

Huh? No eating chocolates without him? 'Luke stocked my top drawer. Every time I have a bit of a...' I lowered my voice, nearly whispering into the phone, 'freak-out moment, I have one. They're amazing.' I said, drawing out the words. 'I'll save you one for when you're here, you know, in case you have any freak-outs too.'

'Uh-ha, we'll have one together.' His voice was slightly rough over the phone.

'Next time there is a Code Black Sang, you find that panic button, you hit that f*cker, then you come and find me. I'll be your cuddle buddy. You can f*cking climb me like a tree anytime.'

More giggles escaped me. 'I didn't climb North like a tree. I kind-of leapt at him like a ...leapy animal.'

'Well you come and leap on me. I like the sound of that. Gotto go Sweetie, I'll see you later.'

'Ta-ta Sweetie,' I answered, half laughing.