Chapter 21 - Luke cont.

Start from the beginning

I picked up the phone and cautiously put it to my ear.

'Hello?'

I was answered by Gabriel's cheerful voice. 'Morning Sang!'

'What about me?' Nathan asked.

There was a silence from Gabriel. I piped up 'Morning Nathan.'

'Needy b*stard. Morning everyone else. So... who's on pickup for Muffin Day Tuesday?' Gabriel asked.

'I was last week,' Victor chimed in.

'It's actually Luke's turn this week,' Kota declared, 'he's not in yet so we can either wait for him or one of us can go.'

I could pick up some muffins. I was fairly sure the cafe across the street had muffins in it's glass-fronted counter. 'I'll do it.'

There was a pause before the objections started.

'You're not a f*cking maid, you're not getting the muffins Sang!'

'I'll do it Aggele mou, I was thinking about getting something else anyway.'

I interjected 'No, I want to do it. I have just finished up on my morning tasks so I can quickly grab them. Let me help.'

I was greeted by silence before Kota's voice came through. 'It's okay Sang, one of us will do it. Silas will go and grab them.'

I warred with myself. Kota was telling me not to but I was at the look-for-work stage. It would be good to be able to go and do something, a part of the weekly routine. The thought of using some of my newly earned money thrilled me. I would love to be able to return the favour to them all by buying the muffins.

'I...I would really like to help and do it if it was okay with you...' I trailed off, unsure of my decision to speak up.

I waited quietly, wondering what Kota would say.

His voice came through with a slight hesitancy before hardening into firm resolve. 'If you're sure, you can do that Sang. If you would like to do it. But never feel you have to because we all take turns doing the muffin run.'

'I want to do it. This can be my turn this week.'

'Luke's going to love that,' came Gabriel's reply.

'I'll come out to reception and tell you were to go,' Kota finished, before hanging up.

'Well...it was nice chatting to you all. I'll be good and won't talk to strangers,' I said with a grin.

There were deep chuckles before the various phones hung up.

Kota strode into reception with a piece of paper in his hand. He placed it on a desk showing me the address written on it.

'We just get a standing order from a bakery down the street. If you ask for the Blackbourne Investigations order they add it to our account. Pick what you would like and add it to the order.'

I stood, picking up the paper, 'I'll be back soon.'

Opening the external door carefully I stepped down the steps. I would probably always be cautious coming out that entrance now. The memory of that encounter seared firmly into my mind.

The bakery was busy, a line of customers ordering coffees and baked goods. The crowd was a mix of business suits and shoppers indicating it must have a good reputation.

I stepped to the end of the line and waited as it slowly shrunk. The rush appeared to be over as no one had joined the line after me.

I ran my eyes over the variety of baked goods displayed. They looked absolutely delicious. There were too many delectable flavours to be able to easily pick one.

'What's your order hun?'

A cheerful voice broke my concentration and I jerked my head up. A middle-aged African-American woman was waiting for my response; her eyes peered over her glasses, flicking over me before settling back onto my face. Attitude dripped off her, with her voluptuous figure accentuated by a white apron tied around her waist.

'I'm here to pick up an order for Blackbourne Investigations?'

Her eyes widened.

'Are you working there girl? What did you say your name was? Honey, you are in luck with all that eye candy over there. I'd give my right eye to work there just so my left eye could take in all the sights....Mmmm-mmmm.'

What could I say to that? Agree? I couldn't disagree with her statement. 'I'm Sang, I started work there last Friday. I'm their new receptionist. It's been going well so far.'

'Mmmm-mmmm I'm sure it has hun. Their new receptionist? You mean their first receptionist. Can I get you a little something for you to add to the order? Choc-Chip? Blueberry?'

Their first receptionist? But Kota had said, and Victor and... suddenly the conversational pauses and strange emphasis they had been using made sense. For whatever reason, Kota had made a job for me. I didn't know if I should feel like a charity case but I felt an overwhelming relief that he had. I liked it there, and I was already feeling like I could contribute and help. They mightn't have had a receptionist previously but I was managing to keep busy and help them. It made me more determined to do my best for them.

I scanned the display cabinet, they all looked amazing making it difficult to pick. I was already anticipating Tuesdays to work my way through all the flavours. The blueberry looked delicious but some of the ones with chocolate in them looked so tempting and decadent.

A deep smooth voice sounded from behind me, making me jerk my head up and met the shop assistants round eyes, which had taken on a slightly dreamy look. 'I'd recommend anything here, but the chocolate muffins are particularly fine.'