Chapter 16 - Lunch

Depuis le début

I went to the door and waited as Silas opened it. Gabriel was looking at his phone while Nathan had his eyes fixed on me. He pushed away from the wall, 'You ready for lunch?'

Gabriel's head shot up and a smile came over his face. He shoved his phone back into his pocket and turned around, leading the way towards reception.

'Lunch? I think I was to help someone with something.'

Nathan's deep voice sounded from behind me 'You're helping us enjoy our lunch.'

I stopped outside the tearoom door with Gabriel continuing on. Nathan's calloused hand touched my elbow, drawing my attention away from Gabriel's parting form. 'What do you need in here? We're headed to a cafe across the street.'

I wasn't going to share lunches again. That's how friendships happened. Just spending that extra time with Victor on Friday was making me think of him as something more than an acquaintance. This is one of the things I had planned to prevent and had brought my own lunch with me today.

'I brought my own lunch along today so I'll just eat in here.'

I opened the door and went to my locked box, discreetly pulling the key out of my bra to unlock the box. A startled exhale alerted me to Nathan staring incredulously at the key in my hand. I ducked my head down, pulling out my handbag and relocking the box. I held up my handbag triumphantly, 'I've got lunch already! You two head over to the cafe without me.'

I flicked on the kettle to boil, pulling out a cup of Ramen noodles for my lunch. I would not be swayed.

There was a movement of air behind me, then Nathan's hands settled on my hips, his body stepping close behind. His lips brushed against my ear lobe causing my body to tingle. 'Sang, you're not eating those noodles for lunch. Now you have two options, we walk over, or I carry you over. For the record, I would prefer the second.'

The kettle switched off and I stood there, still frozen. One part of me was well aware that Nathan was being quite demanding and high-handed. Another part of me was finding it rather attractive. This did not fit in with my plan.

The door swung open with a crash causing me to jump slightly. Nathan's hands tightened and he turned his head at Gabriel's voice, 'Nathan, quit f*cking around, I'm starved. Bring Sang along before all the tables are taken.'

'We're coming,' Nathan called out and he swept me up into his arms. My arms and legs started windmilling as I tried to extract myself, my hardened resolve disintegrating.

'I'll walk, I'll walk!'

Nathan pulled me close and whispered in my ear, 'Damn...' and slowly lowered me to the ground.

I straightened my skirt and tucked my hair behind my ear. Shoving my noodles back into my handbag I stepped around Nathan towards the door.

They lead me across the road to the same cafe Victor had taken me last week. Nathan walked close beside, seeming to use any opportunity to reach out and touch me. A hand to the small of my back as I went through a door, an arm protectively in front of me as someone ran past close to me. By the time we arrived at the cafe I was in a state of hyper awareness.

I randomly selected one of the cheapest items on the menu when called to order at the counter, trying to think of why exactly I was trying to distance myself. But every touch seemed to send static through my thoughts, making my decisions unclear.

The server's voice broke through my thoughts.

'And can I have your cell phone number, we can sms you any specials and deals as they become available,' he paused and looked up at me, his fingers poised over the numbers ready to type.