Communication is the key

"Madi! Where were you? Do you have any idea how worried we were?!" Her sister screeched at her as soon as she entered the drop ship where Clarke had her hand on Jasper's chest. The older blonde wasted no time in turning to glare at her baby sister, furious bloodied hands going to her hips in a gesture of disapproval she copied from her mother.

"I was... Hanging out with a grounder." Madi replied breathless, sweat trailing down her temples and a dopey smile tugging at her lips.

"Seriously, Madison? This looks like a good time for you to joke around?!" Clarke snapped. "We were already gathering a search party and- You know what? I can't do this now. Did you bring the seaweed?"

"I wasn't-" Madi attempted to say.

"Did you bring the seaweed or not?" Clarke glared. "In case you haven't noticed Jasper has been suffering while you played rookie."

"Here." Madi lowered her head and handed her sister the red plant, smile all but wiped from her face. "I, I'm sorry, Clarke." She tried, only to be ignored as her big sister moved to dilute the herb and spread it on Jaspers, cleaned wound. "Do you need help?"

"I think you've done enough already." Clarke said, not a trace of emotion on her voice. "Monty, talk to him, he is waking up again." She ordered the teen who had refused to let his best friend out of his sight, completely ignoring the defeated blonde who slowly left the drop ship.

———

Madi looked like a deer caught in the headlights at the bulky stranger.

"Heeyy." She squeaked, clearing her throat at the unimpressed look she received in response.

"You dishonor me and my people." The stranger griped the hilt of a dangerous looking sword.

"Well, if we think about it you dishonored my people first by spearing my friend in the chest, so let's just call it even?" Madi out forward her cutest smile that (almost) always worked with the guards, but it seemed like this... person didn't get the memo because they just remained glaring as if challenging Madi to do something.

"You crash into our lands and call us cowards." The native's pretty brown eyes got stormier by the second. "I'll bring your head to my leader and prove my worth as a warrior."

At that the warrior lunged towards the girl and it was only years of living with teen criminals that helped her duck the first lunge. And the second one. And the third one.

By the fourth attempt on her life, she fell in the lake in a mass of flaying limbs coughing and sputtering as she spit the water out of her mouth.

Yep, she should've definitely came with a group.

"You're a warrior." The person (Madi was about fifty percent sure monkeys couldn't do what they had been doing) stared down at her from the shore, for the first time a semblance of emotion crossed her face, something akin to amusement.

"Or maybe you're just really lousy with a sword?" Madi suggested, pissed off at falling on her ass in a lake and making a fool of herself in front of the enemy. She was so busy on her self pity party she didn't realize or heard when the warrior moved and pressed their swords on her neck.

"You are weak and pathetic." The person glared. "But no other managed to scape my blade in battle. Of course, none of my people attempt to scape a fight, we die honorably." Madi wondered if the stranger was going to just standing there insulting her or if she'd just kill her already. "Regardless, you survived me. You'll live another day, Skai Branwada."

"Wha-" Madi attempted to inquire the grounder the second she felt the blade leave her skin, but by the time she managed to turn around there was no one in sight. For a second she wondered if she imagined the interaction, but even her mind wasn't fucked up enough to come up with something like that. "How the fuck did you do that?" She yelled at the trees.