"Are you just going to give up?" X!Chara asked in an annoying tone. He'd been pestering me to fight back ever since Nightmare took advantage over me.

"I can't do anything, Chara. He has too much of a grasp on me." I retorted, as I had already given up.

X!Chara growled lightly and rolled his eyes, "You're so weak. You're lucky Dream still hasn't given up on you. But that's most likely going to be his downfall." X!Chara stated, wanting to either make me feel bad and start to fight it — since he was also under control and hated that — or for me to just feel irritated. "I'm leaving. Hopefully you'll come to your senses, even if you have none." X!Chara hissed before he disappeared, leaving me alone to think about what he said.

I huffed and shook my head, standing up. 'I have to fight for Dream! I couldn't bare to get his blood on my hands, what was I even thinking?!' I thought to myself, brushing my clothes off. 'I have to stay determined.'

Nobody's POV:

Dream's eyes were filling up with tears, as he fell into the despair knowing his closest friend would be killing him soon. Cross crouched down and pointed the knife directly above Dream's soul, about to puncture it straight through.

Dream smiled weakly and shakily lifted his arm, cupping Cross' right cheek with his left hand. "H-Heh.. t-thi-s is h-how it en-ends, huh?" Dream shakily asked, still smiling with the last of his energy. "W-Well... I-I would ra-rathe-r you k-ill me than a-any-anyone e-else...!" Dream exclaimed, his voice just over a whisper. Dream sighed and closed his eyes, giving up for a moment.

Then he visibly perked up when he felt Cross' hand on his own for a second or so. Dream lifted his head quickly and opened his eyes to find the feeling of touch was gone, as well as his hand.

Dream thought to himself for a brief moment, feeling a little more hope to save Cross from Nightmare's grasp.

Speaking of, Nightmare growled lowly, his tentacles moving in anticipation. "Well?! What are you waiting for, moron?!" Nightmare asked, his voice loud to catch Cross' attention. "KILL HIM!" Nightmare shouted, demanding Cross to finish his task he was specifically assigned.

Cross slightly flinched at Nightmare's sudden loud demand before he raised his knife, hesitating to send it down through Dream's soul. Cross was currently fighting Nightmare's control over him with all of his will power, not wanting to kill Dream whatsoever.

Dream smiled sweetly at Cross and slowly leaned in, gently kissing Cross on the 'lips'. Cross' eyes widened and his eye lights flashed with genuine love, his face flushing lavender for a second or two.

Nightmare growled at was happening and was about to just kill Dream and Cross himself, when he felt a horrible pain in one his now non-existent tentacles. Nightmare hissed in pain and melted into goop, teleporting away. As soon as he was away, Cross gained full control of his mind again. Well, as much control as he could have.

You see, with the little consciousness he had left, Cross threw the giant, red, glowing knife he was holding to Dream's chest at one of Nightmare's tentacles, knowing that was his weakness.

Cross immediately started to worry about Dream, forgetting about how exactly he woke up. "Are you okay?! Oh multiverse, I'm so stupid.. I'm so sorry!!" Cross said quickly, making Dream's head hurt even more.

Dream made a sound of pain and rested his head on Cross' shoulder, nuzzling into the crook of his neck. "I-I'm fi-fine... just r-really ti-tired.." Dream mumbled, his voice quite weak, his face still dusted with a light yellow on his cheekbones. He didn't know if it was fever or not, but ever since he kissed Cross he felt a little warm inside. Dream didn't think too much of it, though; since he was quite exhausted from the very long fight he just endured.

Cross nodded and stood up, picking Dream up bridal style. Dream yipped in surprise from the sudden movement and wrapped his arms around the back of Cross' neck, as he didn't expect that he would be carried to presumably his own bed. It's not that he was afraid of heights, either — he just didn't want to get hurt from Cross dropping him.

Dream trusted Cross, however he was too tired and physically hurt to actually think like he normally would — which was thinking the best in everyone.

Cross teleported them both to Dream's room in the Star Sans' base. "Are.. is Swap and Ink here?" Cross asked keeping Dream from passing out just yet. Dream slowly opened his eyes, trying to exactly process what Cross had asked. He also had to think about the answer, wanting to give him the correct one.

"Ehhh... uhm.. no, I-I do-don't t-think so..." Dream replied, his voice still quite weak. "W-We ha-haven't a-all lived here in a-ages.., so I'm s-sure th-they won't be h-here..." Dream continued, trying his best to explain before he passes out. His bed is extremely comfortable, and so Dream always passed out on it after a long day of work; so now that he was hurt and already exhausted, it was very surprising he wasn't completely out yet.

Cross blinked and frowned, "Oh, do you get lonely?" Cross asked, sitting down on the bed next to Dream. He wanted to make conversation. Well, as much conversation he could get from a tired and hurt positive magic energy skeleton.

Dream hummed as an answer and lightly nodded his head, closing his eyes.

Cross noticed that Dream seemed to be very close to passing out from exhaustion. 'I should probably leave him to sleep now.' Cross through to himself, standing up and turning towards the door to the outside hallway before he started walking away stupidly after Dream said he was lonely; only to get a few steps forward until he was stopped by a soft grip on his arm and a light tug. "D-Don't le-leave, p-please..." Dream slurred, him already basically being asleep. Cross blinked and turned back to Dream, sighing before he walked back and sat back down where he sat before.

Then Cross felt himself being pulled completely down, and he found his face just a few inches away from Dream's.

Cross' face erupted into a dark lavender, him obviously not expecting to be in this position. "D-Dream?!.." Cross yell whispered, just in case he was actually asleep. When Dream didn't answer, Cross calmed himself down eventually.

Cross sighed and hugged Dream, pulling him closer. Cross figured that if he couldn't leave he might as well make the most of this experience, so he decided to embrace Dream's hug right now! Cross closed his eyes and contently sighed, liking this moment very much.

As he slowly drifted away into unconsciousness after his long day, Cross heard Dream mumble something in his sleep. Cross genuinely smiled sweetly, whispering, "I love you too." As he fell asleep for once feeling comfortable and safe.

—————

Hopefully this was worth the wait!
(1870 words)