Chapter 18: Meeting the Pack

Start from the beginning

"Yes, he knew me back then, but I was much younger and used women in much the same way they used me, to get what we both wanted then left. No emotional connection, and certainly no taking them home to meet my pack."

I processed what he was saying as I felt him drop my hand.

"They will know something is going on between us just from my attitude towards you. I love my pack, but I have never acted this way...physically toward anyone else ever before. If we go in there hand in hand, they will immediately know what that means. If you want to enter individually, I'll understand."

I looked him deep in the eyes, seeing the fear held there. Standing on my tip toes I kissed his cheek, linking his arm with mine.

"Let's go Romeo. One thing, just how many other women are we talking about?" I questioned giggling.

"Ummmm" He chuckled, purposefully not answering my question as we walked towards the crowd.

Luca:

Entering the clearing we were greeted with a least two dozen pairs of inquiring eyes and a chorus of elated shouts.

"I thought you only brought your warriors?" She whispered anxiously.

"Looks like Orion invited his pack as well." I murmured back.

"Red!" Poppy shrieked, bounding over. Hugging us both, Orion soon followed, handing me a beer.

"You look gorgeous!" Poppy gushed at Red, causing her cheeks to redden.

"Thank you, I love your dress!" She said meekly, increasing her grip on my bicep, wordlessly indicating that I better not leave her side.

"Red, can I get you a drink? Beer? Wine?" Orion questioned politely.

"That would be great, thank you. I'll take white wine."

"You got it!" He smiled in turn, leading Poppy away as we progressed into the crowd.

Guiding her to a table where I spotted Jac and Ty, I began introducing her to the rest of the group.

First up was Quince. A gruff quiet man, he was one of my oldest and trusted warriors. He found his place as mentor and trainer to new warriors, which now included Ty and Jac. His specialty was close quarter combat and short range weapons.

Christian and Leon were sitting at an adjoining table with some of our other warriors and their families. Seeing our presence, they worked their way over so Leon could meet Red.

Offering his hand, Leon boisterously introduced himself as my chief war adviser, causing Red to raise her eyebrows at me.

Returning with a glass, generously full of white wine. Jarrod accompanied Orion, both of them laughing at my dismayed expression as Leon immediately begins telling Red old battle stories.

"I can stop him, if you need me to," I whispered to her.

She shook her head, smirking at my concern. "So, Leon tell me more about Luca in his glory days," She said loudly, giggling at my obvious groan.

Unlinking her arm, she followed Christian and Leon to sit along one of the benches as Orion nudged my shoulder.

"She's getting along well with the men."

"Thankfully, Leon doesn't appear to be scaring her off." I replied hopefully.

"Yet." Jarrod added, his voice chuckling through mind link.

Taking an empty spot with Quince and the others, we sat chatting, drinking and eating to our hearts content. I kept glancing at Red, who was laughing heartily with Christian as Leon physically re-enacted one of our many historical tales. I couldn't help but smile at the sight of her, her radiant smile spreading warmth through my chest.