eighteen

It was a few minutes later when the paramedics arrived at Sal's apartment.

Travis had opened the door for them and brought them to where the sick boy was laying in his bed.

Henry hesitantly came out of his room, hearing the commotion in the house. He followed the nurses into Sal's room and stood stiffly against the wall upon seeing his son.

Travis was kneeling at the side of the bed, talking to the medics.

Sal's skin was nearly transparent. Henry could see the blue-green veins in his neck. He shuddered, walking towards him.

His breaths were shallow and he was laying down with his eyes closed, hands shaking.

"Sal," he mumbled, remembering the day his family was attacked.

"I told you he was sick," Travis mumbled.

Henry grimaced.

The paramedics lifted Sal's limp form slightly to put him on a stretcher.

Travis stood up and watched as they wheeled him out of the room. "I'm going with them." He turned to Henry.

__

"Sorry," One of the medics mumbled, putting their hand on the back of the ambulance, "We only allow nurses back here with the patient."

"But," Travis stepped back with wide eyes, "I need to come with him. I told him I'd go."

"Sorry kid," They mumbled, walking towards the front of the ambulance.

"Wait-!" He exclaimed before feeling a hand grip his shoulder. Travis spun his hand around to see Henry, holding a pair of keys.

"I'll take you." He mumbled.

"I thought you weren't coming."

"I didn't know it was like this," Henry admitted, pressing a button on his keys to make the car doors unlock.

Travis sat in the passenger seat and sighed. "Do you have Larry's number?" He was often jealous of how close Larry and Sal were, but he deserved to know what was happening.

"I have his mother's number." He said softly.

"Could you tell them about Sal?"

"Yeah, whatever."

Travis furrowed his brows. What a weird response. He crossed his ankle over his knee and sighed as Henry pulled out of the parking lot, following the ambulance.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, listening to the pounding of rain on the roof of the car.

Travis stared hazily at the blaring ambulance, watching the raindrops drip down on the glass. "He'll be okay, right?" He asked.

   Henry shrugged, reaching into his pocket with a chuckle, "Who knows?"

   "What do you mean who knows?- Hey, what are you doing!" Travis watched as he took a swig from a flask. "I thought you don't drink anymore."

"He's always getting into trouble like this." He groaned.

"It's not his fault." Travis narrowed his eyes. "He's sick."