ten

"Let's hold hands." Sal held out his palm as he walked to school at Travis's side.

   Travis lifted his hand and hesitated. "What if someone sees?"

"We can stop if we see someone coming."

    Travis interlocked their fingers and felt warm inside as Sal grinned.

"Let's watch a movie tonight," Sal suggested with a smirk. "I'll even fall asleep on your shoulder."

Travis rolled his eyes. "I didn't like it that much."

"You liked it enough to mention it while crying." Sal chuckled.

"I wasn't crying!"

"You weren't?" He tilted his head.

"No." Travis huffed.

Sal just smiled.

__

"I knew it!" Larry exclaimed before Sal clamped a hand over his mouth.

"N-not so loud, man!" Sal frowned, letting go of him. "It's very low-key, alright? We only started dating yesterday!" He whispered.

"Sorry, dude." Larry sighed and leaned back against his locker, "I'm happy for you, man, but if Travis messes with you and shit, you gotta tell me, okay little dude?"

"I'm worried about him," Sal admitted.

"Why?"

He sighed, dropping his head. "He's really paranoid about his father, and the church, and his sins." Sal made air quotes with his fingers.

"He's still in denial?" Larry raised an eyebrow.

Sal shook his head. "He doesn't deny being gay. The problem is that he hates that he's gay. He doesn't wanna go to hell."

"He doesn't really have a choice, dude." Larry scoffed. "If hell is real, and gay people really do end up there, that guys gonna be the first one down there."

"Stop!" Sal laughed for a moment and then sighed. "I'm just worried that he'll never overcome that fear."

"He'll be alright, " Larry assured him, looking away. "I don't actually know much about your new boyfriend,"

Sal panicked and looked around to check if anyone heard. He couldn't imagine that Travis would be happy to have the whole school know he's gay.

"But I know that he'll be okay." Larry smiled. "He just has to learn that being gay isn't something to be ashamed of."

__

"Trav," Sal smiled, coming up behind him.

"Hey, " Travis was sitting and eating Lunch by himself again. Sal leaned over his shoulder and grinned.

"Come sit with me today." Sal picked up his bag.

"Wait, " Travis mumbled, watching as Sal slung his backpack over his shoulder, "I can't. They'll-"

"You're obligated to sit with me now." Sal smiled. "I want to sit next to you."